Hello from Gig Harbor, WA

William Clark

Still learning the tvbb site and I've been smoking in a large bullet for a few years.....
Now I would like to do my first bacon and am curious about a few things, please:
1. Do we use a reduced amount charcoal or just adjust the vent doors for a very slow cook? I ask as I've never tried to run the smoker at such a low temp.
2. Any tricks to keeping the smoke going for a longer time? eg. Wet chips in a box? Or just feed the chunks .......... and be attentive!
Many Tks !

Still learning the tvbb site and I've been smoking in a large bullet for a few years.....
Now I would like to do my first bacon and am curious about a few things, please:
1. Do we use a reduced amount charcoal or just adjust the vent doors for a very slow cook? I ask as I've never tried to run the smoker at such a low temp.
2. Any tricks to keeping the smoke going for a longer time? eg. Wet chips in a box? Or just feed the chunks .......... and be attentive!
Many Tks !
I'm not William Clark...... I'll try to get this straightened out..... Sorry, William

Welcome to the forum, to be honest I havent cooked super low, but I would think to light fewer "coals" at the beginning and choke off the extra air early, as to not rise quickly past your desired low temp. And as to keeping the smoke going, I would just add chunks on top as needed throughout the cook.

Using a snake method may be better for low temp. A winding string of charcoal and wood works well. Maybe two high or two with one on top. Experts here will know

Back