Hello from Central Florida

EvanD

Hi everyone. After months of researching between the 18.5 and an Akorn Kamado, decided to go with the WSM.

I live North of Orlando, FL and a big rib aficionado -- pork and beef alike. This weekend should be my first cook of St. Louis ribs that I trimmed down from spares plus the rib tips.

If you're in Central Florida, I'm looking for orange tree wood. It's pretty tough to find and not many people use citrus for grilling or smoking, but I've had some fantastic steaks grilled over orange wood in the past.

Thanks for having me!

Welcome fellow Floridian! Good choice with the WSM! I also have been wanting to give Orange wood a try. I'm just north of Tampa. You'd think it'd be pretty easy to find orange wood around here. Let me know if you have any luck and i'll do the same! Welcome again!

Welcome to the forum Evan. Let us know how your cook with orange tree wood works. Sounds interesting.

Good news, I found orange wood. The same company that produces most the bagged chunks and chips (Western) has orange wood bagged chunks.

These were at Academy Sports in Lake Mary, FL. If they don't carry orange in your area, but Western is in your store, maybe it can be ordered. Yesterday I smoked 10 leg quarters with a basic salt/sugar dry brine and just the wood. Delicious!

I grew up in Orlando and we always had citrus trees on our property. My dad used all types for smoking.....grapefruit, tangerine, orange. Very nice for fish, poultry, pork, and lamb. Thanks for the tip about Academy....I will check them out.

@TGreene - FYI it's really great if you grill beef over wood. That's what they use at Charley's steak houses.

Hi Evan and fellow Central Floridians. I'm in Tampa.
I'm not much of a griller, but the storm system that blew through here on Tuesday is sending me in that direction.
My 50 foot pecan tree was knocked over. While I was researching quotes online for tree removal services, I learned that pecan wood is highly sought after for grilling/smoking.
I'm slicing and dicing the wood and I'm looking for advice on "seasoning" (drying). Is six months about right for pecan wood?

Back