Hello form Orlando, FL where every day is BBQ season

LeeT

Hello everyone! Thanks for the wonderful site. I’ve been a lurker for some time now. I have a few threads I want to ask some questions on so I just signed up.

I’ve started off smoking a few years back with a MES. That thing died on me so, I graduated to the 22” WSM a 1-1/2 years ago and love it. I’ve also built my own PID Arduino based controller to regulate the temp. I wish I would have come across Heatermeter sooner. It would have saved me some headaches. Since I’m so far down the road with my own design, I can’t give up on it now.

As mentioned above, my current set up is a 22” WSM and a Charbroil Infrared Gas grill. I’m looking to replace (not enough room on the back porch for both) the gas grill with a Weber kettle. I’m still on the fence on which one to get. It’s a toss up between the Master Touch, the Performer, and the Performer Premium. I like the charcoal bin on the performer premium and the nice big side table. But, it takes up a lot of room when not in use. The regular Performer has the fold down side table to reduce space when not in use. But, is the side table on this one big enough? I could just use the fold up TV tray thing I use with my WSM when I need a side table. If I do, that the Master Touch is all I need.

I go on regular “smokey meat” vacations with my girl. Some of these places are so far off the beaten path if your not going to the town for BBQ you will never visit the town. Some of the places We / I’ve been include.

Salt lick – Driftwood, TX - Best BBQ atmosphere ever
Franklins - Austin, TX - No lie, the best brisket ever worth the wait and hype
Blacks BBQ - Lockhart, TX - Giant Beef ribs!!!
Kreuz Market - Lockhart, TX - No sauce no forks. This place could smoke a whole farm in a day. The SQFT of smokers is incredible.
Smitty's Market - Lockhart, TX - You can tell this place has been around for a while walking by the open fire to order. Guess there is no frivolous law suits in TX.
City Market – Luling, TX - Another smoke filled Texas back room. best TX style sausage I had on this trip.
Louie Mueller – Taylor, TX
Snows BBQ – Lexington, TX - I can’t believe this little old lady is still out there every Saturday tending the pits. She’s living the dream.
Blue Smoke – New York, NY - Mike Mills is a silent partner here so it’s legit. And there is Magic Dust!!
17th street BBQ – Murphysboro, IL - Mike and his daughter Amy Mills are incredible people. They were teaching an OnQue class to a BBQ establishment based in Orlando the week I stopped by. The corporate own versions of this Orlando based establishment has really stepped up its game since then. I can say I’m a more regular patron to this establishment now. I got a wink from Mike when I said “The Magic Dust recipe in your book isn’t the same as what you have on the table is it?” He’s no dummy he’s not going to give the real recipe out.
Memphis Championship BBQ – Las Vegas, NV - Another Mike Mills owned establishment. I ate here before I became a BBQ Addict…. This is probably actually the day I started my true BBQ addiction. I’m just going to say it was probably the Magic dust! That stuff is good!
Big Bob Gibson – Decatur, AL - Chis Lilly wasn’t there that day booooo. But, I snagged a pic with one of the Memphis in May grand champion trophies :cool:. Chicken with white sauce is my new favorite way to have chicken.
Memphis BBQ Co. – Horn Lake, MS - No Melissa Cookston on this day… But big John Wheeler’s ribs were fantastic.
Interstate BBQ – Memphis, TN
The SHED – Ocean Springs, MS – Brad and Linda “Mamma” Orrison were there the day we stopped by. When pulling in Brad was standing out front and waved to us like were we’re long lost friends pulling in. We must have spent an hour to 2 talking to Mamma Orrison over a beer after having some amazing que! This place is fantastic. The hospitality is out of this world. They have had some bad luck, fire, and multiple floods but they always bounce right back.
Pappy’s smokehouse St. Louis, MO – Stopped here on a week night when in St. Louis for a work trip. Well worth it.
Smoque – Chicago, IL – Nice variety seems to be a mash up of different regions. Smoked Mac and cheese!!!!
Holy Hog - Tampa, FL – Best BBQ joint I have found in FL so far. Its still and hour plus from me.
Sonny’s – all over – I go the corporate owned one down the street from my house. This one has gotten much better over the past 2-3 years. In my opinion the few Corporate owned ones seem to be much better than the franchises.
Q Barbecue – Richmond, VA – Tuffy Stones joint, We stopped here randomly on a road trip. We had to eat in the car because we had the puppies with us. They loved it. I like giant windows looking into the kitchen. Caught them loading briskets into the gigantic ole hickory pits.

There are definitely a bunch of other great smaller lesser known places that I didn’t list here. The bottom line is I love BBQ. I typically need to run 2-3 half marathons a year to keep the BBQ pounds form adding up.

Welcome Lee! Looks like you have hit some really good BBQ places. If you ever come back to Chicago, Smoque is cute for the young ones, but Leons ribs done in the aquarium smoker is the real deal.

Aquarium smoker... that's sounds interesting. Next time we are in that area we will have to check that out...

Back