Heavy smoke vs light smoke - how much wood?

Brian Misko

TVWBB Member
I've been trying a number of recipes lately with the intent to heavily smoke some dishes while lightly smoking others... none the less, I'm finding there are some limits.

For smoked chicken I've started with a full ring of coal (about 10 lbs) with 5 chunks of hardwood for smoke. This was too much. However, this appears to be a better amount of wood for brisket or PB.

What have other enthusiastic cooks found as to the amount of wood to use for smoking?

Brian
House of Q

You gotta go easy on the wood with chicken. Too much smoke discolors the chicken (and my wife won't eat it...looks like it is undercooked). If I am cooking pieces slowly, I'll use a single chunk of moderate flavored wood (oak, pecan). It is amazing how chicken absorbs smoke.

If I am cooking the pieces hot (350) I sometimes opt for hickory, but prefer pecan, and still refrain from too much wood.

If I am cooking whole chickens, then I'll use a larger chunk, but still only one. I have a fussy wife!

Everyone has different tastes, and it is sometimes hard for me to accomodate to others' preferences when I think I'm right!

I prefer a stronger smoke flavor for butts and briskets. I'll use 4 to 6 chunks depending on what kind and size of wood they are.

Everyone here has a little different take on this. This is just my opinion. Good luck.

Craig Castille

I like a little smoke flavor but not too much. For light, I usually use 2 or 3 chunks. 4 for "average" and 5 rarely. I would be light on chicken and heavier toward butts or briskets, which I do rarely. Most often use hickorey, but some pecan and, cherry, which I order. I want to order some apple, but haven't yet. Except for mesquite, imo, particular woods are not going to change the taste of your food a great deal.

Paul

Also keep in mind that there is good and bad smoke. The wood needs to burn a bit to get rid of the excess moisture and start smoldering. When it's ready the smoke coming out of the bit shouldn't look like smoke, but more like a blurry, bluish whisp of heat. If you've got plumes of smoke billowing from the smoker the food can take on a harsh and/or bitter taste.

On chicken I use two smaller chunks of a very light fruit wood, either apple or cherry, or perhaps sugar maple. If it's hickory, pecan or oak, just one chunk.

On pork butts and brisket 4-6 chunks any ombo.

On ribs, usually no more than 4, 3 apple-1 hickory, etc.

My wife and I like very very light on chicken so I use a small hand full of chips. Cherry or apple .

Brisket and butts get about two large 2 to 3 inch chunks of hickory.

Ribs get 3 or 4 chunks of hickory.

We always use hard wood lump so that is also a factor in the taste .

I guess the light smokey flavour and rubs are our favorites cause we like the flavour of the meat not over powered by the smoke.

Back