HeaterMeter Snapshot for RPi3 Available

Sort of, you need to write the .img file using the program from the following link

https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

Then after its on the sd you can put it in the Rpi and boot it up

Easy peasy. Got the img loaded up and was messing around with the GUI last night. Pretty excited about the possibilities of what this thing can do! Now I wait for my soldering station, HM 4.3 kit and damper to come in!!

Hello, first post here,
I received a HM with RPi3 :D
but I cant get the ssh connection to work with winscp. it keeps complaining about a directory /usr/libexec/sftp-server that doesn't excist.
is it a bug?
I just want to adjust the index.htm file ;)

but I cant get the ssh connection to work with winscp. it keeps complaining about a directory /usr/libexec/sftp-server that doesn't excist.
What complains about that, winscp? Make sure your connection type is set to SCP and not SFTP because there is no SFTP service on the device. Also make sure that "Lookup user groups" is off (although that just gives a warning on every connect). I use WinSCP to do all the development of the webui so I know if works great (and I just updated to the latest WinSCP to make sure the new version didn't change that).

What complains about that, winscp? Make sure your connection type is set to SCP and not SFTP because there is no SFTP service on the device. Also make sure that "Lookup user groups" is off (although that just gives a warning on every connect). I use WinSCP to do all the development of the webui so I know if works great (and I just updated to the latest WinSCP to make sure the new version didn't change that).

Where is the "I Slap myself in the face" emotion. switched to scp, working like a charm.

When I set my P value to 2.3 and save it, when I refresh the configuration page the P value changed to 2.2999999999. is that a bug?

Something else, maybe for the feature list.
An option to turn the backlight off after a X amount of seconds. if buttons not pressed or no changes in configuration.

Last edited:
When I set my P value to 2.3 and save it, when I refresh the configuration page the P value changed to 2.2999999999. is that a bug?

An option to turn the backlight off after a X amount of seconds. if buttons not pressed or no changes in configuration.
As for the 2.2999999 that's not a bug, it is just how floating point numbers work. It can't store 2.300000 exactly it gets as close as it can. I would reformat them for display but then the page would think that the value was always modified unless I added that specific fields had certain tolerances for how they would determine if they were modified and that code would be a bit messy considering how messy the code is already.

I actually thought about the backlight off timer just this week and concluded that for me I like being able to see the values on the display right when I walk up to the device. If you walk up and the backlight is off, you'll have to press a button to turn on the backlight then press again to actually do an action. If you're outside and the sun is bright, you may not notice that the first button press turned the backlight on and feel frustration how "Sometimes when I press a button, it doesn't do anything but then all the buttons after that work, and it only happens if it has been sitting for a while". The opposite is that you don't eat the button press to turn the light on, in which case you have to pick what button you're going to press to anticipate the least disruptive action.

I can't see any use for having the display dim after a certain amount of time. The device isn't running 24/7 in your living room where the light would be disruptive, and I can see more use for it being on all the time instead of off most of the time.

Bryan, While I was searching for the deault config settings I found in my backup file, and in /etc/config a file called wireless. this contains my wifi settings. but the password is plane text. not encryted at all.
Can that be adjusted?
ps. I still can't find the default config files. When I accidentally press the reset config through the HM menu. it resets to F instead of Celcius. I want that adjusted in the default config file.

Try using this tool to generate a 64 character encoded key. It should work. The reality is, if someone has compromised your HM for your wifi password and is within proximity of your wifi to use it, you've got a much bigger problem on your hands!

Bryan, While I was searching for the deault config settings I found in my backup file, and in /etc/config a file called wireless. this contains my wifi settings. but the password is plane text. not encryted at all.
Can that be adjusted?
Yeah you can encode the key like Steve said, but there's no way to encrypt it. It can only be viewed by a locally logged in user and if they have a login, then they can log in through the webui as well and get the wifi password from there. If someone has local access already as root (which is the only valid user) then you're already beyond screwed because not only do they have your wifi password they are literally on your network.

The C/F isn't a LinkMeter option, it is a HeaterMeter option, so it is stored in the AVR EEPROM not in a config file. If you want it force it to Celcius each time the system boots you could always add `lmclient LMST,sp,C` to your rc.local?

found a small bug. I cannot fill in a longer name for Probe 0 to 3 more than 12 characters.

before I'm had a probe named: Aanvoer Vloer
now it is capped to: Aanvoer Vloe

also everytime you login you get a security error from google chrome and firefox. from the openwrt certificate.

At the moment my HM is running 24/7 at my parents to monitor there heating system in home.
Sometimes it loses wifi signal. and then it needs to get a cabled connection, and a hard reset to get it working again.
most of the time I completely have to reset the settings to get wifi working again.
if it happens again i try to get a log file from it. but i don't know where to find those.

Last edited:
found a small bug. I cannot fill in a longer name for Probe 0 to 3 more than 12 characters.

also everytime you login you get a security error from google chrome and firefox. from the openwrt certificate.

At the moment my HM is running 24/7 at my parents to monitor there heating system in home.
Sometimes it loses wifi signal. and then it needs to get a cabled connection, and a hard reset to get it working again.
most of the time I completely have to reset the settings to get wifi working again.
if it happens again i try to get a log file from it. but i don't know where to find those.
Probe names are always limited to 12 ASCII characters on the microcontroller (12+null byte). It previously could take 13 characters, which would leave the string without proper null termination and cause possibly memory or configuration corruption.

You can tell chrome or firefox to trust the openwrt certificate to prevent the warning I believe, or use regular HTTP. A real SSL certificate can not be generated for a local address because it has to have a real name for that to work. I'm not a security master but I can't imagine any way anyone can have a device on their network that a browser can trust, unless that device has a publicly accessible name.

If you're having to hard reset the device (meaning reset the configuration to default) then that almost certainly means that the SD card filesystem is getting corrupted and becoming unreadable. That would be impossible to diagnose without a monitor and keyboard hooked up so you can see the log on the screen. The only log files are memory-based log files so rebooting would clear them. If the filesystem is becoming unreadable, then file-based logs wouldn't add much. I run multiple HeaterMeters here 24/7 as well, and can take the wifi network up and down without causing any permanent problems. What version of Pi are you using?

Hello,

my dad noticed something with the history. before when he unplugged it and plugged it back. his history wasn't gone, only a gap in the diagram where the power was gone. with the 31 dec version, it gets lost. and starts over again after a power failure.

Back