Heatermeter/Raspberry Pi IP Address problem

Craig Shmoldas

Hello everyone. Hoping someone can help me resolve my network problem with my Heatermeter. I recently finished my first Heatermeter build. After initially having some issues getting the imaged SD card to load properly, I managed to get the device up and running. I was able to see the device on my network at the IP address shown on the display (typical 192.168.0.x type of IP) and log into the device (setting up wireless, etc). Now I am having issues finding the device on my network. The heatermeter display shows an IP address of 192.168.36.109, which does not exist on my network (as far as I can tell). I have tried plugging directly into multiple router ports and wireless, always getting the same IP address.

Thinking I messed something up, I reformatted my SD card and re-imaged the heatermeter system, but the IP address has remained unchanged (everything else seems to work fine from the heatermeter controls).

I have also restarted the Pi with Raspbian. I ran IFCONFIG in Raspbian, and it reflects the 192.168.36.109 IP address, so I'm reasonably certain something has gotten screwed up on the Pi. I'm a complete beginner when it comes to this kind of stuff (apparently, I know just enough to get myself into trouble). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this IP address issue? Is there any way to force the Pi to reset to its original settings or force it to resolve the IP address like it did on the initial start up?

Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Craig

You're not keeping it plugged in to Ethernet when you attempt to find it on your wireless network, do you? I think the Software page clearly states that won't work, the HeaterMeter has to be rebooted with the Ethernet unplugged for it to switch over to WiFi.

You're not keeping it plugged in to Ethernet when you attempt to find it on your wireless network, do you? I think the Software page clearly states that won't work, the HeaterMeter has to be rebooted with the Ethernet unplugged for it to switch over to WiFi.

No. I am either connecting the wireless adapter or the ethernet, but not both at the same time...and rebooting each time I switch.

Going to try hooking up to the network at a friend's place to see what happens.

Connect your wired LAN (and wifi dongle), load the HM home page through your wired LAN IP, then open the config page(s) and configure your wifi there. Scan for wifi networks, select your own and connect. And/or set a static IP for the WIFI that matches your network (that's what I do)

Have you had any luck resolving your network issues yet?

Well, I finally resolved my issue and feel a little like an idiot. Ultimately, the problem arose from a secondary router that my home security people put in place (and I forgot about). Still don't know why the pi continued to try to connect to that device despite being connected by wire to my primary router (pi was fixated with other router being the default network gateway). But, long story short, after shutting down the secondary router, everything resolved itself.

Craig

When you connect the rPi to the WIFI you should SCAN for available networks, then choose the network you want and connect to it...

Interesting that you kept connecting to your "security" router without credentials. Unless I'm missing something, that doesn't sound real secure.

I hAaven't had any luck displaying the IP address on my HeaterMeter. It just has the -No Pit Probe- screen, and the IP address from the Software page doesn't lead anywhere.

I am really having a similar issue. I setup the wifi without a problem and then I created the interface wlan. I configured the wlan with a static ip address and I can save and apply and even reach the interface while plugged in to the wired network. Subsequent reboots do not allow that ip address to work. I have to log back in via wired lan and click connect. Am I missing a step to set this as auto reconnect?

Lastly I have two (really three) AP's all with the same SSID. The authentication is all the same but I don't think it will connect to different AP's unless I specifically select them and connect? Is that a true? I don't believe this to be my original issue as I am closest to the original AP that I can connect to when I finally select connect.

Thanks!

Neil

So I replaced my wifi device with the recommended one from the one that came in the kit with the pi I ordered. It made no difference. I went and deleted WWan and the interface and reboot and perform the steps in the wiki here: https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/wiki/HeaterMeter-4.0-Software

I then unplug reboot and it still doesn't connect. I thought perhaps it had something to do with me having fallback whereas the screen shots do not. I don't know but I was hoping to run a cook this weekend and it doesn't look like I can get this guy working. Is there some way to start fresh perhaps?

Neil

Not sure what's causing your problem, but you can start fresh by going to System -> Flash Firmware and upload the .img file. Make sure the "keep configuration" is not checked. When that flashes you should be back to stock.

Not sure what's causing your problem, but you can start fresh by going to System -> Flash Firmware and upload the .img file. Make sure the "keep configuration" is not checked. When that flashes you should be back to stock.

So I did this and set a static ip rebooted and it worked. I picked up the Heatermeter and moved it to another part of the house with a different access point with the same ssid and password and it doesn't seem to connect. Any ideas why this would be? Is the way this stores networks mac specific to the access point? Should I add the other access point? They are different brands and when I scan network there is a slight difference in the authentication methods but both are wpa2 ( I think)

Thanks

Neil

Yes, for some reason OpenWrt thought it would be a good idea if when you join a network, you only bind to that specific AP. If you go to the Network -> Wifi -> Edit, there's a field BSSID. Blank that out to let it connect to any AP with the right name instead of just the one you joined.

Yes, for some reason OpenWrt thought it would be a good idea if when you join a network, you only bind to that specific AP. If you go to the Network -> Wifi -> Edit, there's a field BSSID. Blank that out to let it connect to any AP with the right name instead of just the one you joined.

Wow that is exactly the problem. I will check that out. I moved the heatermeter back to the original location and it works on the network just great so that has to be the problem.

Thanks!

Neil

Back