Heatermeter internal temp?

JWalker

Just finished my first heatermeter 4.2.4 build, booted up for the first time, etc. and added all my thermoworks probes (all four thermistor based..three food and one pit)

LCD shows pit temp of 106 deg, and other three probes show around 105 deg, even though it is around 73 deg in my house.
So I know the temps are off on the pit and the food probes.

So questions....to fix these temps shown, do I need to do the boil test and then set the offset on the temp on each probe?

And also I read that the heatermeter has an internal ambient temp...but I am not getting that readout anywhere.
Just shows my pit temp, and then rotates thru probes 1, 2, 3. What am I missing to get the ambient temp?

Waiting on my wireless adapter to arrive, so I cant get online yet, so for the food temp alarms, I am assuming that I need to set those thru the webpage or app, etc. since they are not listed in the on board menuing?

Thanks!
Jason

TFziSvkm.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

ambient temp if you installed the small thermistor

Didn't see any instructions on adding this internal thermistor. And I bought my kit from the heatermeter store, and it didn't come with a thermistor.

Where are the instructions on what thermistor to add and what value of thermistor?

The ambient temp thermistor is on the HM BOM at the bottom under OPTIONAL PARTS. It is a Vishay NTCLE203E3103FB0
Though the board pictured is a different version the ambient temp thermistor connection would be exactly the same. IDK if Bryan supplies the thermistor with the kits, I would guess not as it is listed as optional.

Thanks Ralph!

Could someone post a closeup photo of the thermistor mounted on the board so I can see where I need to solder it to the board

And am I correct to assume that I will need to set the food alarm temp for each probe online or on the pitdroid app, etc. Not on the menu on the unit itself?

The ambient thermistor is really easy to connect.

First of all, let me explain the probe jack connections.

Each probe jack has three legs.

The leg closest to the boards edge is sleeve which is the probes GROUND

The leg furthest from the boards edge is the TIP which connects the probe to the ATMega

The leg that is in between which is offset just a bit is the switched leg.

The switched leg will be connected to the TIP leg, and thus connected to the ATMega if there is no probe plugged into the jack. Therefore, you install the ambient thermistor between the Ground leg of the probe jack and the switched leg (between closest to the edge of the board and the middle leg) This way the VISHAY thermistor will be in circuit unless you happen to plug a probe into that jack.

Pefect, I understand now! Thanks Ralph!
I will install one as soon as it comes in.

Any idea on my food probe alarm setting question?

Thx!

The ambient temp option is cute, and if the HM is in your house it will read whatever the AC is set it, BUT, if you put that box outside in the sun, you are going to be reading 100+ as your temp. Like I said, it is cute, but not really a needed option, I put one on my first HM years ago, I even ordered a bunch of extra thermistor for my next builds. They are still in the bags they came in. Just my 2 cents.

Hmm, ambient temp thermistor.... such a simple item but in reality something to ponder.

First of all... if installed on the HM board in a HM case it will always read warmer than the actual ambient temperature, even more so in the sun as noted. If you install it on a 2.5" mono plug you can plug it into the OUTSIDE of the HM to get a more accurate ambient temperature, or optionally plug it into a roto damper at the grill while the HM is in a remote location. This will give you a good ambient temperature reference.

Though simple, the ambient temperature does make an impact on what you actually see on the HM web page. For instance, if you run the pit with just a pit probe set to 250 you will start to see a narrow temperature range on the HM graph focused around the setpoint. If you have the ambient temp on the graph as well it will scale all the way down to fit room temp on the graph. I tend to omit the ambient temp from the graph and look at the more narrow temperature range between the pit and the food....

I know...old thread.
Has anyone put the ambient thermistor/probe outside the case? Say, drill a hole in the back of the case and stick the probe out the back of it, but enclosed in something else? This should protect it from the sun and heatermeter temperatures a bit, I would think - keeping it shaded behind the case itself.

Back