heat distribution - charcoal baskets.....

Becky M-M

TVWBB Pro
i made some pork chops yesterday. i had a full chimney lit and split it between both baskets. there was also some leftover from the last cook so that was split evenly before i poured the lit on top.

i let the coals sit in there for a few minutes to get the grate hot. when i put the chops down they didnt sear very well... and they were actually taking too long to sear, imo.

this seemed odd to me since both baskets were really full and really hot.

i decided to empty a basket on one side and spread the coals out a bit. i left the other one as is.

i noticed that the side w/out the basket seemed to cook the chops better. they browned more evenly and even indirect that side was better cooking.

so am i using them incorrectly? what i was trying to achieve was a quick sear then indirect. the side w/out the basket just seemed to have better heat distribution.

I had those baskets Becky, ended up giving them to my son as they weren't large enough for my uses. I normally cook for 5-7 and banking the coals on 1/3 of the OTG just works for me.
I know a few members like them, hopefully they'll chime in with some tips for you.

Tim

i use them for indirect cooking only. Like ribs and smoking some chicken. I dont think they are big enough to sear something unless you do one at a time. If searing, i will generally bank to one side using about one third of grill for indirect.

I bought my OTP (platinum, which is a performer without the gas starter) used off of craigs list - it didn't come with baskets, it came with rails (that I've never even tried). My OTG didn't come with any baskets either. I don't use them. I just bank my coals like Tim, sometimes (like if I'm making some really nice steaks) I'll add enough coals to get them within an inch of the grate (still banked).

Some people here use fire bricks instead of the baskets, you might try that or just skip them all together.

i guess they just work for some and not others. the last few cooks i didnt use the baskets. and i had really good cooks.

yesterday i made more chops and then put chicken on for a couple of hours and it was just a really, really good cook.

nothing complicated about it, but i had been having so much trouble with my past cooks (since using the charcoal baskets) i just banked my coals like i normally did before and this cook on Sunday was just flawless.

i am going to smoke a butt soon and will try using them then.

@clint i have picked up two platinums off of CL and both came with the baskets. interesting that yours came with rails. i was looking at them and wondering what the heck they were for lol

Becky, what style basket are you using?
The new style
413Y8RRKSKL._SS500_.jpg

Or the larger old style?

110605blast2.jpg

This is the set up I use for steaks. I can get temps to around 1000 deg this way.

Back