Healthier BBQ

Brian Trommater

TVWBB Super Fan
I have been trying to eat healthier and lose weight. I smoked some Salmon, Steelhead and turkey sausages the other day. Everything came out great. Wish I would of bought more Steelhead as it was very good. Looking for some more idea's of healthy BBQ. Any ideas

The obvious problem is that low/slow cooking really requires a meat with a high fat content, i.e. butts, ribs and brisket. Grilling, on the other hand, provides lots of options. I have a similiar issue, dictated by family history, so I try to eat the "good stuff" in moderation and make up with higher, more frequent doses of the healthier stuff.

If you don't see posts from me for a period of 6 months or more, you'll know my plan didn't work.
icon_smile.gif

Paul

Chicken and turkey are good and there are many ways to prepare them, both Q'd and grilled variations. Try cutting back on red meat to 1 meal per week. It may sound drastic, but it is very effective.

I have the same health concerns,
I am getting better at salmon. Turkey & chicken are OK, but are getting old for me. I cant resist pork ribs. I just cant give em up. I have a great time Q-ing and eating them. It's hopeless, I am adicted.

Not sure who posted it on the grilling forum (though I have personally verified it!) grilled tilapia is excellent - all it needs is salt, pepper, and a little olive oil.

I'm dieting too. I don't get the chance to BBQ as much as I'd like because of time (although I grill lean meat as much as I can) so BBQ is more of my "cheat" day(s) every few weeks.

I'm definately going to be smoking a salmon sometime before the weather gets too cold.

Back