Hawaiian style pulled pork

Al_G

So my sister and BIL want to do a Hawaiian themed birthday party for my nephews 2nd birthday in mid May and asked me to smoke 2 or 3 Boston Butts. Now I can't get them to tell me what they mean by Hawaiian themed so I was trying to find a couple of recipes to smoke 2 maybe 3 Boston butts. From what I can find traditional pork in Hawaii would be to get a whole pig and bury it in hot pit with some salt and wrapped in banana leaves. That won't work for this since I've got no place for a pit and I don't think it is what they really mean.

So I'm thinking of suggesting a sweet and sour saucebut not sure on the rub and wood to use for the first Boston Butt. For the second I was going to inject with Huli-huli and put some sea salt and black pepper as a light rub. Both of these I'd wrap in banana leaves. For the third I'd do the The Renowned Mr. Brown.

I'm looking for other ideas to give them some suggestions and maybe do a test smoke or two before hand, any excuse to smoke is a good one!

Al, don't know if you're a fan of Jeff Mauro of the Food Network, but you might wish to try this Hawaiian pulled pork recipe of his; it's not intended for a smoker, but if need be, it COULD be tweaked to accommodate smokin' on a grill....

Regards,

Rooster

That looks very tasty, I'll have to suggest it to them. Tweaking the rub is a good excuse to smoke some pork too!

No expert here on the matter but I went to a luau in Maui. The pulled pork was pretty bland. Needed salt and of course had no smoke flavor. I was surprised there was no other seasoning. I'd go 'contemporary' ... do your own thing or try the recipe posted by RL Bagwell above but smoke the pork with a mild fruit smoke wood and perhaps a coffee rub.

Last edited:

Back