Having problems with my Maverick...

BryanDH

Hello everyone I am brand new to the smoking world.. I got a WSM 22.5 for Xmas and must have had beginner's luck last weekend.. I had not received my Maverick ET-7 until a few days ago so I was excited to try it out today on some Ribs. The receiver picks up the signal and the temperature and will change temp's one time as the transmitter changes. After that the receiver is stuck on the same number continuously. The transmitter continues to show the Temp so I don't know what to do. I have tried with them sitting side by side and other methods. Nothing works. I have read all the instructions and have searched the internet. If anyone has any idea I would appreciate it.

Another thing that surprises me is that the Weber thermometer that is built into the smoker reads 200 when the transmitter reads 230. I have the probe thru a wine cork and then through the top vent. Thanks for any help!!

Bryan Herren

The Weber thermometer typically reads about 30*F cooler than accurate. More about that here.
It sounds as if your Maverick may just need a new battery. Even if new, it may have been sitting on the stock shelves for awhile.

When you registered, did you first turn on the receiver and then turn on the transmitter and hear a beep? I don't know if your problem could relate to that. Just a thought. You could bring it in the house where you know the temp and reregister just to see how it's working. If ok, then connect back to the smoker. Of course, Gary might have a point regarding the battery

The batteries seem to work okay.. Both the receiver and transmitter work by themselves. The receive displays the temp and will change for a minute or two, but then it stays on one temp. It is like 25 degrees outside so maybe the transmitter doesn't transmit in cold conditions. It seemed to have worked inside when I tested it out. It doesn't go through one single wall though which makes it pretty much pointless. I believe I'm going to return it. Does anyone know of one that will transmit through a wall? Thanks a lot!

Mine works ok in the cold and through a wall. I believe, however, some people have trouble around corners.

My experience with the Maverick is that it can be hit or miss. The batteries must be fresh, rechargeable batteries don't seem to last butt a few hours and I get the "- - -". Also the range is not that great especially through walls, patio doors, etc.

One thing that I have learned is there's a reset/channel button under the transmitter cover above the batteries that when it is pushed will reconnect the 2 units.

Thanks for your help, I must have a dud, or maybe the 20 degrees is causing the problem. The ribs turned out excellent anyway. I'm sure everyone knows about the "competition ribs recipe" by Chris, I want to say. They are absolutely ridiculous. My first attempt of my life at smoking something was that recipe. I had no idea what I was doing so after many phone calls to friends and following the recipe, I was rewarded with the best ribs I have ever had and it isn't even close!!

I purchased the ET-7 a few months ago and fresh out of the package the unit would flash LLL or HHH. It did that for a few minutes and then started working.

I was cooking a brisket in 15 degree weather last weekend and then darn thing started flashing multiple numbers when only one probe was plugged in.

I ordered the ET-73 from Amazon yesterday and I hoping it isn't a POS like the ET-7

LLL or HHH usually means your probes are cold.
Try to bring them up to room temp, or store the unit ( probes ) in your crib..
At least that's how my ET-7 and ET-73 work..
icon_smile.gif

Tim

I have a lot of issues with mine, but it's the only game in town that is designed for smoking. I have trouble with the range and also with the transmission freezing. My bedroom is well within the advertised range, but the transmitter never reaches it which is annoying on overnight cooks. BTW, the on/off switch of the transmitter which, for some unknown reason, is *inside* the battery compartment will definitely break. When it does, you need to reverse a battery when you're not using it in order to turn it off. Also, the problem with resetting is that then you have to go through the whole HI LOW temp thing. Grrr.

I guess this is what happens when there's no competition. (If there is, I want to know about it!)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clint:
didn't someone figure out a mod to increase the range on the ET-73? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes. Somewhere on the site there is an antenna Mod.w/ really good instructions. (Helps to be a little handy). I've done it and it works great. I have had no problems with my ET-73 in the past two or so years I've owned it (except I've gone through 2 Smoker Probes but they're only $14.00).

Back