Having a heck of a time getting up to temp

Dave Gagnon

Outside temp is around 24 degrees. I have 2 14 lb birds in my 18.5 WSM. No water in the pan and an auber ATC with the larger blower is going full blast for the past hour. Temp seems to not want to get over 250. Any way to salvage this cook or get more heat? I'm using lump coal because I thought it would burn hotter.

Dave, you could crack the side door open a bit, I would also throw some lit charcoal in through the door. Is that temp by the dome gauge or at the grate?

That is by the ATC probe at the top grate. If I go by the dome it's only 225. Time to fire up some coals then... I opened all the bottom dampers but have not tried cracking the door yet.

Silly question but your top vent is wide open right? Two 14 pound birds is a pretty big heat sink. As they cook the temp will begin to come up in the cooker.

The top vent is at 3/4 open. The temp seemed to drop when I had it wide open. Might be wind effecting the cook. I moved a gas grill and other items around the cooker. It brought me to 258...

I ended up having to prop open the door today (same cold temps) and the temp spiked for ten minutes then settled to around 330. All vents are wide open, with a slight wind.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think to door cracked, more hot coals, all the bottom dampers open, and the blower going full blast is going to do the trick. We are at 278 and climbing.

Wind and the amount of coals you start with lit can make a big difference. I started with 2 full chimneys of lump and kbb mixed and with my windbreak and the lid cocked open I hit 370 or so on my 18.5. I also added a layer of kbb to the top of the lit coals to give me heat for longer.

I seemed to stall at 275 but am now at about 295. Vents wide open, 1 full chimney on top of loaded smoker, and quite a few chunks of wood. Getting worried. Just need to be more patient???

Epic Fail.

Preheating the oven now and calling it a day.

Charcoal just not burning right in my opinion. Tried all I could. Giving up.

I'm in the same boat. I've propped the door open, maybe a quarter of an inch. I'm still sitting around 270 about 2 hours in. No water in the pan. It sounds like my drippings are sizzling or boiling so it must be hot in there. But I'm not getting any more heat. I've added more coals as well. Any more suggestions? How much should I open the door?

My cook turned out fine. Right around 4 hrs for 2 14.5 lb birds. For those using an ATC with a large blower in frigid temps... One thing I discovered today is that the blower pretty much ran non stop the whole cook. When I cut power to the blower the temp at lid would come up to temp. In my opinion the 10 CFM blower was pulling in too much cold outside air. After cutting the blower off for a while with the vents wide open and the door cracked I easily hit 325. So... I will make a note of this in case next years Thanksgiving turns out to be as frigid as this year's.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Great info, Dave, and nice photo of your turkey! For future reference, fold that turkey wing under the body and you'll avoid the burned wing tip.

Back