Have you cooked on the 22" WSM?

My first attempt at cooking on the 22 Saturday was a disaster. I was going to cook a three bone prime rib using my Stoker, but couldn’t get the Stoker to recognize the new 10 cfm fan, so I cooked the roast in the oven. I shut down the vents to snuff the coals but an hour later the temp gauge was pegged at 350. It was pouring rain, dark and I had weekend guests so didn’t get to check it out further until yesterday in between downpours. I noticed the middle section and base didn’t match up and had over 1/2“ gap, letting in air to keep the fire stoked. The two chimneys of lump were all ashes. It started raining again so I haven’t been able to see which section is out of round. Plus I noticed my attempt at making the door fit still left ¼” gaps at the top. So far, this 22 is very disappointing. Good thing I kept my classic 18.

After using both the 22 and the 18. I will agree that the one disappointment I have had with the 22 is fuel use. I know a bigger area will take more fuel.I too have had the problem that the fire will not snuff out.I don't have your issue but all closed up mine will run around 150 until all the coals are burned up.The one thing I liked and still do about the 18 is I can put a full load of fuel in it and cook for many nights by snuffing it out and relighting the next day.I have yet to try it,the next time I cook on the 22 I plan on snuffing the fire with the lid off my kettle.

Jim,

I'm going to try and use the charcoal ring from my 18" in my 22" for my next cook to see if that helps. Another member said that helps with fuel usage.

I'm doing an overnight brisket Saturday and was planning on using the 18". I might try the smaller ring in the 22 and throw a couple of butts on top too.

I have done a brisket on the 22. It is nice that a complete packer will fit. My 22 keeps temps well etc. Just can't snuff it out. I did wrap the smoker because of low temps that night.You can't believe how much wrapping the smoker saves on fuel.

Found out if I remove the lid and center section. Then put a lid from a kettle over the base to snuff out the fire. It works fine. A little more work yet it will save on fuel.

Back