Have my first cook going on, nervous!

Clark C

Hi all, just got my 22.5 WSM and couldnt wait to fire it up. I awoke at 6:30 this morning and got the fire going, got temp to 225 around 7:15 and put the room temp 5 lb butt on the grill. Have maintained 225-265 so far and it has cooked for 9 hours. I just checked and saw the internal temp is 180. Using apple wood for smoke.

I have my fingers crossed, off to do a bike ride for an hour and hope to pull it off around 7

I hope I havent missed anything. comments welcome!!

Clark

Originally posted by Clark C:

I hope I havent missed anything. comments welcome!!

Clark

Good luck and welcome to the club. Boy you do not fool around as smoking a pork butt is not an easy thing to do even on a WSM.

Richard

WSM Classic, OTG

Sounds right to me. Don't forget to go for tender not temp and let it rest at least 30-60 min under a foil tent before pulling apart. Let us know how it is. Pics are always welcome.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Relax, butt is bulletproof.

At 180º you probably have at least another hour or two to go ... depending on your target temp.

Butts are great first cooks, allows you to really see how your cooker runs, reacts to vent changes, wind etc. Good luck!

No need waiting for 225 or getting butt to room temp. Add lit and wood, assemble cooker and put the butt on right out of the fridge. Then when you get up to low 200's close bottom vents to 25% and smoker will settle in your 225-250 range or adjust vents as needed. Easier to settle into your target range that way, on the way up. JMO. Enjoy new toy.

Back