Have Fun not Fear

Eric Aarseth

TVWBB Super Fan
When I first started with my WSM everyone with experience would tell me not to fret. I always figured it was because cooking a meal and messing it up wasn't the end of the world. I think what people were trying to tell me was that the WSM and the cooking method (BBQ) was very forgiving.

I just got done with cooking two packers and hardly gave the whole process a thought. Its not because I've cooked a hundreds of brisket, its because the WSM is so predictable. Granted I had more than a few cooks done so I knew/know my WSM leaks like a sieve and the slight wind would knock the temps up a bit, but slept through the night without a worry. So the smoker would average 275 and not 250. I just ended up with a great bark.

So for those beginners out there, don't worry have fun (but also do yourself a favor and don't make your first smoke a big family or friend affair).

As for briskets - both high and "fast" and low and slow work great. I used the low and slow this time because I really needed the fire and forget approach and I needed the smoker working for me while I slept. Foiled in a pan at 12 hours (didn't take meat temp but still some resistance re: fork test) and took off at 16 horus. Didn't trim. Packers were so big I had to fold the flat up in a curve to fit. Morning the brisket had shrunk and flattened itself out.

I've used the high and fast method with great success when that worked best for my schedule.

Have fun.

Amen Brother! Take it easy, life is already hard enough!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

That's some very good advice Eric. It's human nature to over think things. Slow down, smell the roses, and enjoy life.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I totally agree. Most times I cook ribs and when I first started queing I'd pull the cover off every 1/2 hour and spray with apple juice(IMO that does nothing) and halfway through I'd move the ribs from top to bottom and visa versa. I don't think that does anything either. Now I put them on, get the temps stable and don't pull the cover off for at least 4 hours. And you know what? My ribs are better now than they were then
icon_biggrin.gif

I'm still learning, and enjoying the process.

This time of year is great for running stuff on the smoker:

I like to use a remote probe thermometer for the meat and a Tell-tru for the lid temperature.
(I don't "fret" too much about these.)

-Prep your meat the night before or early in the morning.

-Start your fire and flop it on

-Do some yard-work / enjoy the great outdoors.

-Check the thermometers once in a while
Lid temp - don't screw with anything, as long as it's within about 30-degrees of your target
Meat temp - just make sure that it's climbing
Once it gets close, go by tenderness

-If it's done too early, foil it & put in a towel-lined cooler, or relax and eat early!

Rule #1 - Enjoy your day!

Back