Hash Browns On A Griddle (Will Be First Attempt At Making & Cooking Them)

SteveUK

TVWBB Member
Just got myself a full griddle insert for my Genesis 335 and looking to do a fry up on Saturday on it.

Never made or attempted homemade Hash browns before, so hoping for a recipe and guide to making some and frying them on the griddle.

I am based in the UK so please bear in mind some ingredients in the States may not be available where I live.

Thanks

I’ve had my 335 insert for over a year. Measurements are just a starting point, adjust as you see fit. I use Yukon gold potatoes.

For hash browns, heat griddle to 177C (350F).
Shred potatoes, rinse well to remove starch, then dry.
I like to add 1/8 teaspoon each per 2 potatoes of paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt. Mix well.
Once griddle is hot, put 1/2 tablespoon oil (I use clarified butter) per potato on the griddle, spreading it around.
Add potatoes in a 1/2 to 3/4 inch thickness. I try to make 15 x 10 cm (4 x 6 inches) ‘cakes’.
Cook 5 or so minutes to brown 1st side. Add 1/2 tsp butter to each cake. Turn them over. Should be nicely browned.
Cook another 5 or so minutes till brown and crispy.
Serve….

Since I usually cook for 2 or 3, I like to set one burner to medium (177c ish, burner about 2/3). The other two I se to about 1/3 power and cook bacon and the eggs at the same time.

I really like the ability to creat heat zones on the griddle.

Hope this helps. Just bear in mind that recipes for the Blackstone work just the same as on the insert.

Last edited:
I haven't cooked hashbrowns on a griddle or a flat top. I use cast iron but I have a couple suggestions/comments to add.

- drying the raw potatoes: this is a key step. After soaking I wring them out in a flour sack towel and squeeze them hard to remove as much water as possible.

- I don't touch the potatoes once they go on the heat, just let them brown, and cook. moving them messes with the cook.

I like to make 'em with already cooked soft potatoes....then I can cook them as low or high as I want to.........
I also have a major liking these days to a good quality seasoning salt......maybe it is just a Sunday morning thing after a few too many the night before??

No recipe. Just oil, heat, and whatever seasoning you want. I don’t temp, I turn the griddle on about medium or high, heat it, oil and toss the spuds on. It’s really pretty easy.

Temping and time isn’t a factor. They’re done when they’re crispy at least partially

Back