Has anyone used "machlight"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
All I could find at the store was Kingsford Machlight. Has anyone every used this? Does anyone have an opinion? I'll be doing BRITU and will get the pit fully lit before any ribs go on. I do have some chunk charcol I could use if people think the Machlight will leave a poor taste.

Ditto what Dennis said. You don't want to use any starter fluid either. The Weber Starter Cube is an exception however, and this works great with the Minion Method. I'd suggest you find a good charcoal chimney starter and check this link out for firing up your WSM.

Let us know your results. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Oh, and Merry Christmas

As an extreme last resort you could use it if you made sure every last briquet was lit and fully ashed over before starting to cook. I'm not speaking from personal experience, however, just from having read every thread regarding Matchlight. If you lived closer, I'd loan you a 24 lb. bag of regular Kingsford. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Thanks for the replys. Given that I can't find any Kingsford, I'm gonna have to use the matchlight. I'll get it going real good before I start and hope for the best. Next year I'll have to stock up before winter. Apparently, not many people bbq in Michigan in the winter and I could not find a store with regular kingsford.

Good Luck on your cook Jerry. Let us know how things turn out.

I think almost everyone in the northern states has to stock up on charcoal, lump or what ever unless they want to pay for shipping charges. I boujght what I could but am not sure it will last ~ Using very sparingly.

I'd suggest using Doug's method making sure everything is ashed over very well . . Or maybe Doug will make that special trip ~ 'tis the season of giving, right? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Merry Christmas!

I have used Matchlight for grilling. Let the coals get fully lit and you should be okay. Sounds like you understand the risk and how to compensate.

The usual sources are out of Kingsford here. I end up buying at the supermarket. Last I checked they were down to about 20 bags. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Good luck!

Thanks everyone. I'm off to start the fire. Tomorrow, I'm on my way to Sam's Club - thanks Bruce.

Well, here's the update. I wouldn't use matchlight again, but I could not taste it on the food. I got it going really good and I also added some chunk charcoal that I had and it went just fine.

As for the ribs - this being my second smoke, I can't say they were the best in the universe, but there are no more left.

I think I have a thermometer problem. It read 200 for the first three hours and then when I opened the vents it rose to 225. The ribs were a little too well done after 5 1/2 hours. If those temps were accurate, I don't think the ribs would have been that well done (there were three slabs). Since everyone in my family is only aware of restaurant ribs, they all thought they were great. I've been to Memphis so I know I can improve some - but hey, that's half the fun. The spice was good and in all, it was a great dinner.

Thanks to everyone for all the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back