Has anyone tried these?

Dan Allen

TVWBB Super Fan
A friend of mine was shopping at Costco a couple of weeks ago and bought a package of "boneless pork ribs" which said something about shoulder on the package from the glimpse I got when he tossed it. I'm thinking they were hunks of shoulder cut into strips.

It'll probably make folks here cringe but he boiled them for a while in some water with vinegar then finished them on his gasser and store-bought sauce. At least it was a Weber with a smoke-box.
icon_biggrin.gif

They turned out surprisingly good. A little fatty for my taste but I think a proper smoking would have rendered that out.

I don't have a Costco membership so don't know what the exact product was.

Yes, I'm trying to get him to buy a WSM.
icon_smile.gif

Yep, sounds like Counrty and/or Western style ribs. Do a search on this forum for Jeff Millers "Pig Wings", it will give you a lot of info on them. I make them all the time...

yeah, country style ribs. another good recipe here is from kevin kruger. he used country style ribs for cochinita pibil (pork in an achiote paste wrapped in banana leaves). I've done it a number of times with full pork shoulder, but using CSR gives you more surface area benefiting from that great achiote/adobo paste.

Here's the recipe and post about it.

Those are great for braising in the kettle.

They take a couple of hours though.

Some places sell boneless ribas that are part of the loin. They work real well for skewered meat.

Disappointing.

We just got back from Sam's. They had the country style ribs and also boneless loin ribs. All had a sell-by date of tomorrow. After a couple of bad experiences I never buy meat that close to the sell-by. I'm hoping that means a whole case full of fresh meat for the weekend.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

For years we've had country style ribs and paid just 99 cents per #. My wife cooked them in the oven with BBQ sauce. Yesterday she bought some for $1.79 on sale. Before I knew it she had them in the oven with nothing but Texas BBQ rub on them. Nothing else. Man they were good. Tender,juicy and a bit of warmth.
At the price of these I wonder how much is pork butts are now.
HEB has shank portion ham for 99 cents per # so I'll drive down to Waco to get a couple and try them on my WSM.

yeah price of pork and chicken really going up due to ethanol plants driving up cost of corn

I make them all the time, olive oil, grey salt, pepper, then maybe a bit of rub. Let them sit a bit, then onto the gasser, a bit of sauce at the end. Gives the taste of BBQ in a quick meal. Also can often find them on sale for $0.99 per #.

Back