Has anyone tried grilling normally on a Weber Smokey Mountain?

Robert IO

I was wondering if anyone has tried to convert the Weber Smokey mountain smoker into a regular grilling barbecue and use as both a smoker and regular grill. I am thinking about trying it. Bob IO

Hi. Yes I have done this many times, especially if I am going camping or something when I dont have room to take the kettle with.

I would remove the bottom charcoal grate, dump lit charcoal into the belly of the bottom, and use the top grate to cook on. It rests on the bolts that hold the legs to the bottom of the WSM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rob Ruth:
Does that not damage the interior of the bowl? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have not had a problem yet. I would be interested to hear what others have to say though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rob Ruth:
Does that not damage the interior of the bowl? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The outside of my bowl shows some cracking of the finish, and I attribute it to a time when I built a fire directly in the bottom of the bowl. Your mileage may vary.

Regards,
Chris

Hi Chris, I wanted you to know that I have enjoyed your videos imensley. Your demonstration from receiving to unpacking, putting together and cooking on the 20.5 WSM convinced me I had to have one. It was a privilege to have had a response from you to my question. Your first post was my best answer. I did appreciate the others insight as well! Best regards, Bob IO

Back