Has anyone notched their OTG or Performer like the mod for the smoker?

~Mark~

TVWBB Pro
I've been thinking about notching my Performer like so many people have done on their smokers.
The performer has the thermometer on the lid, but I'd love to use my Maverick without kinking the wires.
I'd put it towards the front so when I cook indirect the wires wouldn't be going over the fire.

One of those deals where I'd like to do it, but lack the guts to take the angle grinder to my favorite grill.:o

I've been thinking about notching my Performer like so many people have done on their smokers.
One of those deals where I'd like to do it, but lack the guts to take the angle grinder to my favorite grill.:o

oh man , I hear YA. I feel exactly the same way. But I'm pretty sure im going to cowboy up and do it this spring. You go first and we'll see how it works out! ;)

Did my performer and notched it right next to the middle of the table, took less then 5 minuets with a dremel and a cut off wheel. That way I can use the 3 foot cord and still place the transmitter for the maverick on the table out of the way.

I did mine yrs ago when I did the WSM and mini. Wouldn't have it any other way. You just need a small cut to give the wires a place to go.

I've notched mine to allow for DigiQ probes...
7015e1a7e8c800cd5a54cf2ca44e9e4a.jpg

d47d77138ff139116755591375e2d86b.jpg

The only reason I've hesitated is not for fear of cutting my favorite grill but , for example, when I use the snake method, I'm constantly moving where my probes enter the grill to stay aligned with the opening. I didn't think the probe wires could take the direct heat underneath them, so I always run them through the break in the fuse. Otherwise, I'd love to have a notch. How y'all handling this?

My Performer is used mainly for indirect cooking, so it's mostly set up the same way. I'm going to put the notch in the front where I can hang the thermometer off the front and keep my table clear.

The only reason I've hesitated is not for fear of cutting my favorite grill but , for example, when I use the snake method, I'm constantly moving where my probes enter the grill to stay aligned with the opening. I didn't think the probe wires could take the direct heat underneath them, so I always run them through the break in the fuse. Otherwise, I'd love to have a notch. How y'all handling this?

I don't do a lot of snakes on the performer, but when I do I use a snake I run it on on the bail side of the kettle and the notch is on the table side so it isn't an issue. Also when doing indirect I do north/ south if I need probes or east/ west if I don't.
On the mini the grate is up high enough from the coals it doesn't matter where I put it.

I haven't looked at it closely but it might not be any different if you notched the lid instead of the bowl.

Back