Has Anyone Done Pizza on the GrillGrates?

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
I've checked a lot of videos and all seem to use a premade crust; not as "artisan" as I would like. Intuitively, I'm thinking that the GrillGrates are not up high enough in the grill box (I have a Genesis) for an assembled pizza with a homemade crust to cook evenly on top and bottom. I know, you can flip the dough on the grate and top the grilled side, but that's not what I'm after.

Now I'm trying to think of a way to raise them higher in the grill box and use them as a Baking Steel. I haven't tried playing with it yet, but am mulling it over. I thought I would get the pizza posse involved too....pizza by committee.

Rita

P.S. For those who have asked, I pre-seasoned my GrillGrates to a nice medium-brown color all over and got virtually no sticking on my first 2 cooks, which were grilled leftover meatloaf and fresh salmon burgers (can you think of any foods more likely to stick on a first cook?) - I'd planned to do some fatty foods like country ribs first but it didn't work out that way. I have pictures but have yet to edit them for "publication."

Last edited:
I wanted to try doing a pizza on my kettle with the gg I have on my genesis but the ones I have are to big and could only fit one panel in it raised. So I didn't do it. If you want to raise the gg in the genesis you could get some cheap replacement flavor bars and set those on top of the standard grate then set the gg on those.

Rita Y;
Since I have both a OTG and a Performer, I have never tried pizza on my gas grill. On the charcoal grills, I just set the pizza stone on a couple of fire bricks (the thin ones). The height is perfect for even cooking on both sides of the pizza. I have not thought of using the grill grates (flipped) as a pizza steel. I believe I just might check that out (I have four sections of grill grates for my charcoal grills).

Fire bricks are available at building supply houses and are relatively inexpensive (I have paid as little as $1.75 each for two and as much as $3.75 each for two. Just put the bricks across the regular grates and set the bricks on top. Then, place the grill grates on top of the bricks. One pizza will tell you if it'll work.

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Rita, to make pizza on your Grillgrates keep the heat at 400 or below. They have pizza cooking demo videos on their website.
Watch them, and give see it that method works for you. It does for me. No need for high heat, fire bricks or raised grates with this
method. Turn the pizza a quarter or a third turn at a time divided through the time during the cook. They do a breakfast pizza that takes about 20 minutes and is
very, very good. For your "artisan" fresh dough, just use parchment paper between the grate and the pizza. Yes there are a lot of proponents of high heat
pizza. I am not one of them, my pizza is always cooked through, and is not burned. If you can get that without high heat and raised grates and such, why not?

Back