Hardwired connection between Stoker and laptop

Larry D.

TVWBB Emerald Member
I have my Stoker communicating with my two computers via the wireless network, and Stokerlog sees the unit and gets the data as it should. But because of the distance between where the router is located, and where I cook, I'm concerned about the reliability of the wireless connection. It would be simpler just to connect the laptop directly to the stoker. Does this require a "cross-over" type cable?

Once I have the correct cable, do I just tell Stokerlog to look for the Stoker using the static IP address I have it set to?

Most newer PCs will auto-detect a cross over connection, I am not sure on the stoker NIC though. Try it before you gut buy a cross over.

I tried, no luck. But, I can get a 25' crossover cable for less than $3 from Monoprice - or an 8-inch male to female crossover (allowing me to use any of the cables I already have) for the same price, so it won't be a big expense. I did look at Staple's, just for a laugh - they wanted $15 for a 10-foot cable.

I think most ethernet adapters today autoconfig with standard cables. You don't need a cross-over.

Now, you have to do more than a cable connection. By default, both your laptop and stoker expect your router to assign IP addresses to them. When you hook them up with a cable directly then you either need to have your PC assign address to stoker or better yet, set both of them to have fixed (static) IP addresses.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amir:
I think most ethernet adapters today autoconfig with standard cables. You don't need a cross-over.

Now, you have to do more than a cable connection. By default, both your laptop and stoker expect your router to assign IP addresses to them. When you hook them up with a cable directly then you either need to have your PC assign address to stoker or better yet, set both of them to have fixed (static) IP addresses. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Stoker is set with a static IP address, so I guess I need to figure out how to set up a static IP address on the laptop's NIC. This site has a video that looks easy enough that even I should be able to do it... later, since it's 12:34 a.m. and I know better than to do anything remotely technical at this time of the morning.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RobM (YankeeRob):
Larry,

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFrmLbYzIic

I've taken up the challenge of creating YouTube videos on many of the FAQ's on this board. Included in my collection is:
Calibration, Stand Alone usage, Wired to PC, Wireless with internet access and wireless w/o internet access. I still have to do the last 2.

-rob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very nice! Although I had already solved my problem. As Amir suggested, I didn't need a crossover cable, the laptop and Stoker communicate with a standard network cable. Because I had already assigned the Stoker a static IP address on my wireless network (192.168.2.4), I assigned the laptop's NIC a static address on the same network (192.168.2.101), outside of the addresses available for the router to dynamically assign to any other device. So I have the option of connecting the Stoker to a wireless access point and monitoring it from any of the computers in the house (desktop, work laptop, or personal laptop) via the wireless network, or I can hardwire it to my personal laptop and monitor it via the NIC (I turned off the laptop's wireless card to do this, which I suspect is mandatory.) With the cable connected, and the wireless card turned off, Stokerlog finds the Stoker at 192.168.2.4 via the NIC. With the cable disconnected, the wireless card turned on, and the Stoker connected to the wireless access point, Stokerlog finds it at 192.168.2.4 on the wireless network.

Back