Happiness is new burner tubes

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Replacing the burner tubes in my Summit 450 was not the most logical choice. The real problem was with the crossover tubes, they somehow got turned in the wrong direction and then rusted in place, making it hard to light the secondary burners. Of course, they snapped off when I tried to remove them, leaving little stubs in the burner tubes. The burner tubes were filled with more debris than I would have expected and one of the crossover tubes was almost completely blocked with debris.

I know that with the right tools and workbench, I could recondition the old burner tubes and just replace the crossover tubes. Or maybe I’ll pay Bruce to do it for me!

7BA188B6-20C9-48C3-8F68-0A5F7A7D2A5A.jpeg

76CB3F8D-1CE1-4973-B123-11CFD34D4F69.jpeg

That is looking good to me.
I did not know those Summits had a wire rack bottom unless you added that. If so, good move.

That looks impressively clean Chris! No holes in the fire box either! Nice blue flame. It B ready to cook! What generation is that?

What generation is that?
It's a 2002 Summit 450, the last year of the first generation. At the time, I knew a guy working in Weber customer support who told me, "I've seen the new 2003 model, I'd recommend you hurry and buy a 2002 if you can find one." That turned out to be good advice.
I did not know those Summits had a wire rack bottom unless you added that.
The wire bottom rack with stainless steel sides and doors are original equipment.

Bruce, I notice you didn't take the bait on refurbishing my old set of burner tubes! Let me know if you ever go into the burner tube refurb biz. :D

My cross over tube rotted due to me needing to use the grill and thought the cheap flavor bars would work, they didn't cover the cross over bar good and it rotted pretty quick, my fault 100% , new burners and wont make the same mistake twice lol

Yep seems Xover tubes were the only burner "trouble spot" they had. IIRC mine still had OEM tubes but new(er) Xover. Though When the fire box was discovered rusting through yet again I gave up and took it out of service. Hoping to one day find a way for a "real cure". But now Jon has it. I always loved the fact the bottom was wire rack. Made so much sense to me.

Back