Hanging Baby Backs?

NeilH

TVWBB Emerald Member
I was wondering what temp and how long to smoke some baby back ribs in the WSM?
I got a rack and was trying to get some idea.

Use the same temp as you normally would. How will you hang them?
I've hung up to 5 full slabs in my 16 gal mini wsm and they come out great.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm using the hanging rack they came out with on the wsm 18. I need to figure out to hang my probe to get an idea of the dome temp.

I drape my pit probe over the frame of the rack so that the tip hangs at the same level as the middle of the dangling ribs. So far, so good.

If I was hanging
Them I'd cook at 250 at 225 they are fall off bone and don't have the "bite" like you want to have at 250 they would have that bite and would hang without falling apart

With KBB in my 18.5 WSM, the last rack of babybacks I hung cooked in 3 hours. Temp was ~285, and the WSM ran with the top vent and one bottom vent wide open. They had some nice bite, and my wife, the critic, said they were some of my best ribs. YMMV.

I tried this set-up for the first time today. I used a Stacker to elevate the ribs away from the lump and cooked at 250 (thanks Colby, that was a good call). I hung the ribs without using a water pan so the rendered fat would drip on the hot coals. After cooking 4 hours I finished the racks on my gasser to set the sauce I brushed on.

These were the best ribs I've made in a long time. The dripping fat gives a grilled pork flavor which I think really complements the smoke flavor. The ribs were tender, but had the right amount of bite.

I am really glad that I saw the rack system on another thread here. It is a great addition to my WSM.

1530317_10151811671861646_730865486_n.jpg

Last edited:
No problem just an observation I made when cooking mine I like the bite more and they taste better at 250 to me!

I tried this set-up for the first time today. I used a Stacker to elevate the ribs away from the lump and cooked at 250 (thanks Colby, that was a good call). I hung the ribs without using a water pan so the rendered fat would drip on the hot coals. After cooking 4 hours I finished the racks on my gasser to set the sauce I brushed on.

These were the best ribs I've made in a long time. The dripping fat gives a grilled pork flavor which I think really complements the smoke flavor. The ribs were tender, but had the right amount of bite.

I am really glad that I saw the rack system on another thread here. It is a great addition to my WSM.

1530317_10151811671861646_730865486_n.jpg

I agree with everything you say. The flavor and smell reminded me of the local bbq joints from around here that are still allowed to use the actual pit and they let the fat drip on the hot coals/wood. I tried to hang the full slab in my 18 until I read to halve them to keep out of the coals. They weren't touching but was a little to close for me. I cooked at 235-250 for four hours and turned out great. No table pics and I regret it. I'm always to eager to eat.

I agree with everything you say. The flavor and smell reminded me of the local bbq joints from around here that are still allowed to use the actual pit and they let the fat drip on the hot coals/wood.
Neil -That is what I was going for. Some of the best NC pits are renowned for letting the fat drip.

Mike,

That's another reason I took them off after 4 hours. I was trying to avoid the disaster of falling off the bone and into the coals.

The hooks each have 3 barbs, which I put through the pork beneath 3 separate rib bones. That gave me pretty good assurance that they wouldn't fall.

Jim

Neil -That is what I was going for. Some of the best NC pits are renowned for letting the fat drip.
Jim, I just noticed Apex in part of your location, I understand your intentions on the rib flavor for sure now. There's some good places for BBQ up that way. Originally from Salisbury, NC and there's no comparison in their BBQ compared to Wilmington. Waaay better in the Piedmont I think.

My other question is, is there a real difference with the fat hitting the coals vs my really hot clay saucer?

Back