Handmade wood handle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Hixon

So I decided to make a Oak wood handle for my WSM and Kettle grill.

Please don't give me to much crap about the quality I through this together in about 30-45min using a drill press, chisel, hand plane, and Japanese saw. I just wanted to see how hard it would be to make. I will make some more in the next couple days and spend a little more time on them. I am trying to decide what kind of wood to use this one is Oak I have some Purple Hart (very pretty purple), Brazilian Cherry, Walnut, Maple, and some Cocobolo (which is beautiful but really hard to work with).

DSC01422.jpg

DSC01423.jpg

I was actually thinking of selling some of them. I have to figure out how much to charge for them. Does anyone happen to know how much the weber ones are?

Very nice job on just throwing one together Jason!
I'm sure you already know this, but oak needs to be sealed or stained with something, or it will turn black when it gets wet.
Again, nicely done and welcome to the board!

Tim

Yes teak is also pretty the woods I mentioned I have some of in my garage though.

I know I need to protect the oak somehow just haven't decided how yet.

At least for me the thickness of the bottom piece is perfect feels really balanced (it is the same width as it is tall so square)

Thank you for all of the complements!

Well as we speak I am working on a way to make them so there is a little less chisel time. The bottom piece has a grove cut into it I used a saw and a chisel to make the groove on the first one but that took to long and didn't look to great (I know you don't see the groove but I like to take a little pride in my work). I think I just figured out how to cut the groove without using a router (which I don't have).

They also will use a threaded insert on the bottom piece instead of a wood screw so you won't strip the screw hole out when removing the handle for cleaning. The screw will be a SS button head allen screw counter sunk into the wood.

Also what kind of stain would guys like to see I was thinking just a basic clear stain?

I have some other woods also I will make a couple display models tomorrow and post pics of them.

I think for the oak ones 10 dollars for the handle with hardware and shipping will depend on how many you want.

Basic shipping via USPS should be pretty inexpensive for 1-2 handles for more then that I will use one of the USPS flat rate boxes.

How should I take orders? Setup a ebay auction with a buy it now or for the people that want them send them a Paypal invoice for the number of handles wanted?

I will be posting a finished product in the morning before I start to take any orders.

I have to run to the hardware store when the wife gets home to get some hardware for the finished products.

Jason, I'm good with your words.
I have connections in the fabricating and metal machine manufacturing fields butt I know of no woodworking people...
The old "supply and demand" theory takes over now.
icon_biggrin.gif

This has been on my list of things to do ever since I saw the Weber wood handles. I like the your idea for a square bottom half, figuring out how to cut the Weber style curve in that part is what has been delaying my work.

I've always been impressed by people who can do this type of work by hand. I have lots of power tools, but not much skill in hand tools. I would cut the bottom groove with a stacked dado cutter in my table saw. It would take a few minutes to cut several feet of groove, and then you could slice off the handles from the long piece of oak. If you know someone with a table saw, maybe they owe you a favor.

I have some red oak in the garage that is looking for a project, you may have inspired me to try making a handle this weekend. I have no interest in selling them though.

Woodworking is kinda a hobby I just recently took up. I used to be a machinist and my last job I fixed hydraulic and electrical armored doors on military trucks it was awesome but to much travel (wife didn't care for it). I have done quite a few thing in my short 29 years.

I love to build stuff even when I can buy the same thing.

Yeah I don't have a table saw my goal when I took up woodworking was to do it with minimal power tools. I actually used a forstner bit to rough the slot in each handle then use a chisel to clean it up.

I have looked into making the bottomed curved I will see what I come up with tomorrow.

i don't think the handles really need the curve. especially if takes a bit of work to do. just a thought on the attaching screw. i think it would save a bit of trouble if you stayed with a ss screw. i've taken many a rotten handle off and on and never had one strip out. besides, a bigger screw would fix that. just a thought.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
... i've taken many a rotten handle off and on and never had one strip out. besides, a bigger screw would fix that... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>well, i believe this statement exactly to a T...
however, the new wood handle i got from Weber for my fireplace stripped out... I used toothpicks to tighten the daggum thing.

So here is a finished Oak handle it is stained with a natural stain it does not have any polyurethane on it yet though. It doesn't have the screw holding it together cause I bought the wrong length this morning (I was a little out of it had to go to the doctor cause I dropped my Malibu door on my ankle last night).

I did use a SS threaded insert to keep the threads nice.

So let me know what you guys think? Any comments welcome!

DSC01439.jpg

DSC01436.jpg

DSC01442.jpg

DSC01441.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back