Handles mod. Why?

I tend to over think most things
icon_wink.gif
I just ordered 2 replacement weber handles yesterday. With a sharp bit and a little care its pretty easy to avoid damaging the cooker. If Chris Finney is around to read this (owner of this sweet unit) I would like some more info on the brackets used.

Brandon

looks like i like the reasonable priced metal handles than hitting for those big semi plastic weber ones. just my personal thought. question... the bolts that secure the handle, also secure the metal tabs inside the smoker that either the water pan or the clay saucer actually sits on? and these are the same bolt position that a guru eyelet goes into?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon A:
If Chris Finney is around to read this (owner of this sweet unit) I would like some more info on the brackets used. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Will this help?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Branon S.:
Basically, yes. Except I wouldn't use an eyelet to hold a handle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

drill new holes for eyelets?

How many handles are you putting on? If you use 2 vertical handles (garage door style) then you still have 4 more screw holes to use for eyelets.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How many handles are you putting on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I put 2 metal handles on mine, but mounted them horizontally. I never did understand why one would put them on vertically; that is not the natural way to lift up an object. The metal ones can be bent slightly to fit the curvature of the smoker. And yes, they take 4 bolts each.

I put mine on vertically because it took 5 seconds and I didn't want risk destroying my new wsm. I think they look great and I can't imagine ever not having them.

If I install handles at all, my preference is similar to Brandon's – horizontal Weber handles. On the other hand, my dream WSM would ride atop an elusive OTP, ala Don Marco. Depending on the height of that set-up, vertical might make more sense.

So far, I haven't found myself wanting for handles, regardless of orientation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul K:
I put 2 metal handles on mine, but mounted them horizontally. I never did understand why one would put them on vertically; that is not the natural way to lift up an object. The metal ones can be bent slightly to fit the curvature of the smoker. And yes, they take 4 bolts each. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After reading the italicized, I extended my hands as if to lift something - my palms were vertical and my fingers horizontal - ready to grab the vertical handles on my WSM. Those handles are mounted with one bolt on the top and one bolt on the bottom - no drilling required.

I like the handles because I don't even need to put gloves on in order to lift off the hot middle section.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve (StLouQue):
If I install handles at all, my preference is similar to Brandon's – horizontal Weber handles. On the other hand, my dream WSM would ride atop an elusive OTP, ala Don Marco. Depending on the height of that set-up, vertical might make more sense.

So far, I haven't found myself wanting for handles, regardless of orientation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe handles aren't for everyone.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Branon S.:
Maybe handles aren't for everyone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Perhaps. Plus, the closer I get to developing dependable psychokinetic powers, the less necessary this mod becomes.
icon_wink.gif

Oh, I thought you already had that power. I don't use mine too often because of the nose bleeds.

Did you go to the Ballwin bbq comp last fall and have you heard about the new St. Louis BBQ Society?

i like the garage style handles because they seem more low profile and more evident of that when installing them verticle, than the tacked on look of the plastic weber ones that protrude outward. i also dont think i'd mind grabbing a verticle handle, it's like a double handle coffee cup?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danmarks:
i also dont think i'd mind grabbing a verticle handle, it's like a double handle coffee cup? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right, its like a double handle coffee cup that is a foot and a half across
icon_biggrin.gif

Did you go to the Ballwin bbq comp last fall and have you heard about the new St. Louis BBQ Society? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, while I do judge, I've yet to compete. I visited a chum who competed the first year in the parking lot. And yes, I have heard about SLBS. Allegedly, they are (e)mailing me an app.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danmarks:
i like the garage style handles because they seem more low profile and more evident of that when installing them verticle, than the tacked on look of the plastic weber ones that protrude outward. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay. My approach, if implemented, is to refinish the wooden handles off of my OTS. The kettle has already been fitted with the gray man-made grips.

Back