ham cooking to fast

Jonathan Jarembek

TVWBB Member
howdy,

I put in a 10.5 lb ham in at 3 with a expected cook time of 4 hours.. i am in 2 hours in and the ham is up to 95 degrees and i am expecting to pull it around 125ish.

so how do i save store the ham until 7 so i dont over cook it.

do i cook it to 115 and hold it in the cooler, get the temp down, etc ?

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

what temp you cooking it at ? usually i take a ham to 150 and then cover and rest it so the temp goes to near 160. it will hold for a long time if foiled and wrapped with a towel. better to put it in a cooler also.

i was going to cook it to 125 as per the temps in the cooking topics, right now its up to 110. I have been spraying it down with a little apple juice as well..

I could cook it longer if you dont think i will mess up the ham

If you are cooking a HAM, you better be cooking to a higher temp than 125º. Pork needs to be cooked to at least 144º to be considered safe. 125º internal temps are for beef, are you sure you didn't confuse something somewhere along the line???

Sounds like he has a "Ready to eat" ham.
icon_smile.gif
I hope...

Bill

Merry Christmas

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
Sounds like he has a "Ready to eat" ham.
icon_smile.gif
I hope...

Bill

Merry Christmas </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, that would splain it! I was thinking fresh ham.
icon_smile.gif

i'm sure it was a ready to eat ham. i'm getting ready to put a spiral sliced ham on the wsm. i do them per the cooking topic and they turn out great. this year i decided to put generous amount of dizzy pig's raging river on the outside of it.

howdy all,

sorry for the late reply,

it was a ready to eat ham spiral sliced.

i cooked it to the mid 130's and let it sit in the cooler wrapped.

came out amazing..

ever since the major rib disaster 2 weeks ago everything since then has been kinda shaky due to me second guessing what i have learned over the past 2 years or so smoking and not wanting another repeat of that day.

just kinda of weird that 1 bad cook has thrown me off my game so much..

at lest i know i can come here and get suggestions and help when i need it.

thanks again folks.

Jon

Back