Ham Bone Soup Recipe?

Jeff Boudman

TVWBB Wizard
I'm going to have a really nice ham bone with a good amount of meat on it in a day or two. If anyone has a tried and true recipe I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

Me Too!
I usually wing it with something similar to Senate bean soup from "Joy of Cooking"
Love to see some other ways.

Tim

Try it this way--very good bean soup!!!

The Famous Senate Restaurant Bean Soup Recipe
2 pounds dried navy beans
four quarts hot water
1 1/2 pounds smoked ham hocks
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper to taste
Wash the navy beans and run hot water through them until they are slightly whitened. Place beans into pot with hot water. Add ham hocks and simmer approximately three hours in a covered pot, stirring occasionally. Remove ham hocks and set aside to cool. Dice meat and return to soup. Lightly brown the onion in butter. Add to soup. Before serving, bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper. Serves 8.

Ben

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
I wing it too.
I would add a stalk or two of celery, carrot and a couple of garlic cloves.

And some diced potatoes for me.
icon_smile.gif

Before I add the meat I use a potato masher to make it more creamier.

Tim

I love split pea soup with ham. I've been spending a fortune buying ham hocks and look forward to making some of my own with the WSM.

Here's my favourite recipe.

Ingredients:
1 -2 Smoked ham hocks
10 oz bacon
1 ¼ lbs split peas
One large yellow onion
Two medium sized carrots
Two medium sized stalks of celery
4 cloves garlic
3 medium potatoes
½ cup white wine
5 quarts chicken stock or broth
2-3 bay leaves
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt

Wash the split peas and put them in a large stock pot. Add the ham hocks and cover with 4 quarts of chicken stock. I use the low sodium and find that to be plenty salty. I usually only add another tsp or less and that goes in when sautéing the onions. Turn up the heat to high and get it boiling then turn it down as low as you can and still have a decent roil. I usually leave the lid half cocked over the pot. Cook for two hours or until the ham hock bones have started to stick out and can be easily separated. You don’t want to overcook the hocks. You don’t want them falling apart. Take them out and place on a plate to cool.

While they cool, dice the onion, the celery and carrots and potatoes, mince the garlic. Slice up the bacon into ¼ inch pieces.

Take a 4 qt sauté pan, add a dash of olive oil, get it hot and then add the bacon. Cook it over medium low heat until it renders the fat and gets a little crispy. Use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon into a bowl. Pour off most, but not all of the bacon fat, and add the onion and all but one cup of the carrots and celery. Add in about a tsp of salt and sauté for a few minutes then add the garlic. Continue sautéing until it’s just beginning to brown. Pour in the wine. You may not need the entire ½ cup. You don’t want the mix to be swimming in it just covered. Cook it down until the wine has almost completely evaporated, stirring occasionally. I usually stop when it’s starting to stick and brown again.

Add the cooked onion, celery and carrots along with the bacon into the stock pot. Remove the bay leaves. At this point dice up all the meat from the ham hock and return the bones to the stock pot, but not the meat. Not yet. Have you been stirring the stock pot regularly? Well you should. After the bacon goes in you want to watch how the peas are doing. They should be completely broken down before you do the next step. Give them a little extra time to get nice and creamy. Once they are ready add in the potatoes and the diced ham hock meat and the reserved cup of celery and carrots. Cook for another 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Taste and adjust for salt.

Enjoy.

Back