had an efficiency problem with fuel this weekend

Chris Smith

TVWBB Fan
I decided to do two racks of BRITU yesterday and had some trouble increasing the temp towards the end. I got a full starter of Kingsford going and dumped in the ring, followed by a full starter of unlit + wood chunks on top...bottom vents closed, top full open, just as prescribed. Water pan was filled at the start with 1.5 gallons. I didn't peek at all and left the ribs going on the top rack for 3 hours at 225F before flipping them over and opening the lower vents a little. When temps didn't increase a bit I went to full open on all vents and still couldn't get temps to increase. Outside temps were in the high 60s. In that 4th hour the kettle legs received several good heel kicks to drop some ash...nada. I was really surprised. At the 4.5 hour mark the ribs came out and I closed up the vents.

Tonight during cleanup I noticed there was what I would call a significant amount of half- or even 3/4-spent briquettes. I clearly had enough fuel to burn for hours. Any ideas on why I couldn't get my temps to climb into the 275F range?

Chris, I've never made BRITU recipe ribs before, so I don't know if the instructions call for temps over 225'F.
I've made ribs (both spares and BBs) galore, and I love cookin' em at 225'-240'F. I see no need to go higher in temps.
225'F for 5 is what I've always been told and it works well for me.

Like Jim, I cook spares @ 225 to 240 deg. The only thing that I can think of is that you started with the lower vents closed, cutting off the oxygen supply and prevented the fuel to reach optimum temperature thereby not allowing the unlit fuel to ignite properly in a timely fashion. As the unlit fuel started to burn the oxygen level to keep the all fuel burning diminished. Try starting off with bottom vents open 100% then closing to maintain temps. I leave the top vent open all the time.

joe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Abad:
Like Jim, I cook spares @ 225 to 240 deg. The only thing that I can think of is that you started with the lower vents closed, cutting off the oxygen supply and prevented the fuel to reach optimum temperature thereby not allowing the unlit fuel to ignite properly in a timely fashion. As the unlit fuel started to burn the oxygen level to keep the all fuel burning diminished. Try starting off with bottom vents open 100% then closing to maintain temps. I leave the top vent open all the time.

joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This makes a lot of sense but as a rib newbie I was simply following the directions on the recipe...I typically do butts and use the Minion method. I realize nothing is really absolute when it comes to burning fuel but was pretty surprised I couldn't get the temp to rise.

From the recipe page over in Cooking Topics:

"When the smoke wood is engulfed in flames, but not fully consumed (Picture 2), assemble the cooker. Put the water pan in place and fill it with cool tap water. Close all three bottom vents, but set the top vent fully open and leave it that way during the entire cooking process.

Allow the WSM to sit for about an hour before adding the ribs to the cooker. During this time, the cooker temperature will drop, and much of the smoke wood will be consumed, leaving just the right amount of smoke called for in the recipe."

Chris if you get the proper temperture by using the Minion method; go that route. Proper management of heat is important and without the proper supply of oxygen, complete combustion will not take place. Run 2 simple tests; start with 1 chimney of unlit, light up a chinmey of briqs and set it up with lower vents 100% closed. Monitor the temp rise and max temp., and plot against time. The next test start the same way but leave the lower vents open 100%, monitor temp rise and max temp., and plot agaist time. You will definitely see a difference.

joe

If it's cold and windy in Atlanta, it'll be a challange to get your WSM above 250* especially if you still have a significant amount of H2O in the pan as the water can't get hotter than 225*
icon_smile.gif
In a normal cook you'll be running out of water around the 4 hrs point, starting with a gallon and a half (try just a gallon to be sure) and don't replenish...then the temp will increase eagerly on its' own toward the end of the cook
icon_wink.gif
On a nice day and the water pan depleted 270* is achievable
icon_smile.gif

Back