Hackberry Tree

Mark Etheridge

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello Everyone,

First post in a looonnnnggg time. Still check out the site on a daily basis though.

Anyway, I have a Hackberry tree that fell and my neighbor has subsequently cut up and I was wondering if it would make a good smoke wood.
If so, what kind of flavor will it impart to the meat?

It is a hardwood according to several websites I have looked at.

My guess would be that it would be much like other fruitwoods, mild but with a bit of an edge. If I'm right I think it would be quite good.

I haven't tried it but hackberry is just as stringy as hickory. For some reason I was thinking hackberry was in the hickory family. I am not sure on that though. My memory isn't what it used to be.
icon_biggrin.gif
I have ground up a lot of hackberry trees and have yet to see any kind of berry on them. I wonder where their name is derived from?

Good question. Ive no idea where the name comes from. Hackberries were considered members of the elm family or of their own family. According to a few sources, genetic testing puts them in the Cannabaceae, the hemp family. Maybe it's really good for smoking.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Maybe it's really good for smoking </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh hell yeah!! That tree is definitely looking right for smoking now!!
icon_biggrin.gif

But seriously...thanks for the replys. I'll probably just let the tree folks pick it up since I don't have any really definitive info. I ain't about to risk a piece of meat just to find out.

Back