Gyro Meat

I'm trying this Sunday after a long time of dying to try. I found a supplier that has locally raised lamb, and he's got a lot of trimmings from roasts, etc. It's perfect stuff, with a good fat content.

I might grill some octopus to serve as a starter, to keep the Greek theme going.

Originally posted by G Dechaine:
I'm trying this Sunday after a long time of dying to try. I found a supplier that has locally raised lamb, and he's got a lot of trimmings from roasts, etc. It's perfect stuff, with a good fat content.

I might grill some octopus to serve as a starter, to keep the Greek theme going.

Be sure to post your comments, and pix
icon_biggrin.gif

Dean...

This was my first gyro attempt and it turned out great! I followed the recipe and split the meat into two 1.5 lb. sections. Smoked them for about 90 minutes between 325 and 350. I'll definitely be putting this recipe into the rotation! Thanks to everyone for all the pointers.
IMG_3621.jpg

I made this Saturday night and loved it. I've made gyros a handful of times, but this was the best effort so far. I didn't fire up my roti, just put it on the wsm for a while with one chunk of cherry.

IMG_1831.jpg

Made this for the office christmas party yesterday, and it was a HUGE hit. I also made pitas, which came out really delicious. The gyro recpe is a homerun, but I think next time, for home consumption, there will be more lamb. I bought a leg, boned it, and ground it, but probably was 50-50 on the mix with beef, and it was still very good, but I love lamb, so I think for home, i'll go ahead and go straight lamb next time.

Where else but here can you find a recipe for gyros...?
Awesome... this site and the people here are just Phenomenal!!
This I have to make.
Pat, your's looks fantastic!
And Kevin, who started this thread years ago, Thanks!
ALOT!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Looks like I will be making this again this weekend. I scored three, one-pound packages of ground lamb in the mark-down section for $1 each and froze them. Sounds like something good to do along with Ray Crick's Mediterranean Tza-Tziki

I got to use a BubbaKeg the other day and I cooked a 6lb Gyro loaf on it with olive smoke wood. I used a 3lb leg of lamb that I deboned and a 3lb chuck roast. To form this one I put the mixed processed meat in an oiled stainless steel mixing bowl with a layer of plastic wrap and a 10lb sack of rice on top. When it was time to cook I gently ran a spatula around the bowl then dumped it on parchment on the upside down Bubba top rack then trimmed the parchment to the edge of the loaf. I flattened the loaf by hand to a uniform thickness of about 2".

That BubbaKeg is a mean machine, sure did like it. I threw my Brinkmann charcoal pan full of snow on top of it's CI grate, then put the loaf on parchment on Bubba's top grate (upside down so the bowl would fit under it). In this config I started at about 225ºF and let it climb over the course of 2.5 hours to finish at 450ºF (170ºF loaf internal).

Served with a Greek salad, tzatziki, seasoned onions, kalamata olives, white and whole wheat pitas and my first attempt at baklava. I didn't get any slice pics or plated pics (sorry) but it came out great! It sliced beautifully. Rave reviews, thanks again Kevin!

Ok guys you have to try this sauce on the meat and pita with a little raw onion and diced tomato.
1 cup evaperated milk
3/4 cup sugar
1 tbl granulated sugar
1/3 cup white vinegar
Mix the first 3 and then mix the vinegar in slowly as it thickens then chill until ready yo use.
It is worth trying,this is how we eat it in my area.

Originally posted by Jane Cherry:
And where abouts would 'your area' be?
I live in New Brunswick,Canada.
We call them donairs.They sell them in all the pizza joints.It doesn't cost much to try and only takes a minute to make.We also use it as dip for garlic cheese fingers.Let me know what you think after you try it.

I haven't been on the site much lately but decided to go on after receiving the newsletter last week. I noticed this topic in the Most Popular Forum Topics section. I recall seeing this topic years ago but never got around to trying the recipe. This time I decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did - this recipe is awesome.

I coarsely ground the meat in a meat grinder, mixed in the herbs and then ground two more times finishing with the finest grinding plate. Compressed two 1.5# loaves overnight and then smoked using lilac and sand cherry woods. The meat turned out perfectly seasoned and delicious. Just had leftovers for lunch. I will definitely make this again.

Mark

I'm very glad you liked it, Mark. (Lilac was a good choice.)

Shawn, that loaf is huge. I'll have to try that sometime. How did your baklava come out?

How did your baklava come out?
It was a tasty lot of work, I spent about 3 hours making it. A better brush for the butter would have cut the time down considerably. I used this recipe in a pan large enough for the fyllo untrimmed. I used about 1.5lb, roughly 30 sheets of fyllo, mixed ground almonds and walnuts instead of just walnuts.

It was cooked through with a brown flaky top, I thought it was good.

Made this again last weekend...violated every rule by making it at the last moment (well, late the day before...), when I found a 1 lb pack of ground lamb at the local Publix. Added 1 lb of ground beef, and cooked it as 1 loaf.

Used Ray's Tza-Tziki Recipe That's another "keeper" ! We like the dill rather than the mint..

...and cooked it on my new gasser, but it was OUTSTANDING !

Thanks, Kevin and Ray !

Dean...

Back