Guru UltraQ sucks #!$@

NickMV

TVWBB Fan
So I'd been using an HM 4.2 (corrected for interference) for a while but got tired of the wifi-only setup I had and it needs some fixes -- new screen, probe port to be resoldered, and new power adapter.

Anwyay I bought a Guru UltraQ and lemme tell you -- stay away from that crap at all costs. It reads 10F high, it refuses to stay anything but 10F over my setpoint, it literally increases reading by 10F after a cold start, the Bluetooth connectivity sucks and disconnects after about 1 min, and the cloud-based wifi connection only updates readings every 15-30secs.

Stay away. I'm trying to see if I can return it at this point. Time to repair the HM and get the RD3 mounted to it!

Question -- does HM support Bluetooth connectivity? That's one thing that sucks --- when I'm at a competition, I have to A) connect to wifi, but also B) cut off my mobile data, otherwise it cant connect.

Sorry you're having all that trouble. I use a partyq on my 22 wsm even though bbq guru says partyq is too small. As long as I light the WSM off with enough charcoal, and it's not too windy and/or rainy, the partyq does just fine. I don't like using all the batteries, but really prefer the simple battery power and temperature control feature. I use a maverick food and pit probe to keep half an eye on pit temperatures. Good luck figuring it out.

Question -- does HM support Bluetooth connectivity? That's one thing that sucks --- when I'm at a competition, I have to A) connect to wifi, but also B) cut off my mobile data, otherwise it cant connect.

No bluetooth support. Probably easier to just pickup a used smartphone and use that for monitoring the HM over wifi.

I use a tablet to connect to my HM network if I'm remote. They're cheap these days. I also, if I'm using more than one and don't care about phone connectivity, will use a dedicated WiFi router to lock into.

I use a tablet to connect to my HM network if I'm remote. They're cheap these days. I also, if I'm using more than one and don't care about phone connectivity, will use a dedicated WiFi router to lock into.
Yeah maybe an Amazon Fire tablet is worth a buy there. I'm gonna give my new pit a cook on the HM for the first time this weekend with the RD3 blower. I fully expect it to rock out like a champ as always.

I just need to get the damn screen replaced and re-solder the grate probe port. For now, I'm using Meat#1 as fallback.

So I have an UltraQ and have used it on enough cooks now to throw in my thoughts, I think it does a good job of holding the temps steady with the fan in my Kettle, but the Bluetooth/WiFi connectivity sucks. I can’t get the WiFi to work at all and trying to use ShareMyCook.com is impossible. Hopefully this summer I will switch it out for the Fireboard 2 which I should have just used my gut and asked for in the 1st place. I wouldn’t recommend the UltraQ to someone else, but at this point I’ve got to use what I’ve got.

Back