Guests Leaving Tomorrow, So Paella Tonight!

Phil Perrin

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I started the day off with reheating some of yesterday's wings for lunch. What better way than on the gasser?
48205705167_1282c6f873_k.jpg
[/url]Untitled by Phil Perrin, on Flickr[/IMG]
It cooled off today, so we could eat outside for a change. My niece, great niece and their friends are heading back to Maine tomorrow, so I made them a meal fit for a last supper! LOL ;)
I started with some chorizo in the Lodge carbon steel paella pan.
48207994061_dc2cc2d1cb_k.jpg
After rendering it for a bit, time to toast the rice.
48208044747_58e262267f_k.jpg
A couple dipper fulls of the saffron broth and we go to here.
48207994406_872cdab912_k.jpg
I normally add peas for color and some veggies, but we had some grilled corn in the freezer, so I added that.
48207994406_872cdab912_k.jpg
And, ready to eat!
48207994631_ec4a0207e6_k.jpg
And, we have some leftover for Sunday lunch! I may try my hand at arronchini using the paella instead of risotto. I'll let you know how it turns out if I decide to go that route!

Those kids aren't leaving for Maine tomorrow with those main courses you've been serving. Nicely done!

That looks fantastic, Phil! I need to make another paella, been a while! Did you put the shrimp and (looks like pre-grilled) chicken on toward the end just to cook through quickly (and warm up in the case of the chicken?)

What kind of chorizo was that? Spanish, or more of a Mexican style? I found a local source for Spanish (cured) chorizo which I want to try in my next paella, and I have plans to make some as well.

Thanks for posting that up!

Rich

That looks fantastic, Phil! I need to make another paella, been a while! Did you put the shrimp and (looks like pre-grilled) chicken on toward the end just to cook through quickly (and warm up in the case of the chicken?)

What kind of chorizo was that? Spanish, or more of a Mexican style? I found a local source for Spanish (cured) chorizo which I want to try in my next paella, and I have plans to make some as well.

Thanks for posting that up!

Rich
Rich, I par cook the chicken in advance, to give it some char and extra flavor.
Then, towards the end, when the rice is almost done, I add the last of the broth and the chicken and shrimp.
And I usually use a Spanish style dried chorizo.
This was a very good one!

Rich, I par cook the chicken in advance, to give it some char and extra flavor.
Then, towards the end, when the rice is almost done, I add the last of the broth and the chicken and shrimp.
And I usually use a Spanish style dried chorizo.
This was a very good one!

Thanks, Phil! Appreciate the details! :)

Rich

Yes,great job on the paella! I don't envy your niece and her gang having to do the long drive.

Bill, we're heading that way next weekend. My baby brother is turning 50 and is hosting this years Beercation in Hallowell, ME.
And, yes, the WSM will be making the trip too. It loves going on vacation, er, Beercation!

Back