Grrrr...no butts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike W.

TVWBB Member
Hi!

Just thought I would vent my frustration! Went to sams tonight and they did not have pork shoulders or butts!!! Grrrr! I wanted to run over to costco to see if they had them there, but it was too late and they were closed already.

Has anybody else had problems finding stuff like this? I live in Chicago and I'm kind of surprised that I would have a problem like this. I even ran to my two local grocery chains and couldn't find anything there! I guess I'm just shocked to not see it, especially in the city.

Also, for pulled pork, would you recommend a shoulder or butt? I can't remember which part...

Thanks for listenign to me complain!!!! :)

I hear ya mike. I shop at BJ's same problem. No BUTTS Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr back at ya.
icon_biggrin.gif

I bought 2 shoulders and a cryo pack of spares today at my local Sams club. I always go with butts and baby backs but I decided to give shoulders and spares a chance. Baby backs were twice as much per pound than the spares and the shoulders were just sitting there looking at me. My WSM is going to be hot all weekend.
DP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike W.:
Also, for pulled pork, would you recommend a shoulder or butt? I can't remember which part... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
A whole shoulder is comprised of a butt and a picnic-- you have to skin the picnic, but the cooking is the same as a butt.

If you didn't see any single butts in the case out front at Sam's, you could try asking them for a two-pack in Cryovac from the back. If they have some, they're cheaper than the singles they break out for sale out front.

Well, I got the baby back's at sams. If anybody wans to open a costco or sams, make sure it's 24 hours for us nuts! I think I would drive to it if it was a 40 mile drive!!!

Reason why is because like Dale, I'll have my WSM warm all weekend as well. We have a block party on Saturday, and I really wanted to season them up tonight and start cooking tomorrow.

I think what I'll end up doing is season them tomorrow morning, start up the WSM around 9 or 10 at night, and let it cook all night. Then, after that, the baby back's go on, hopefully saturday morning, and then get done later on in the day. :)

It will really get a work out this weekend... :) (Both me and the wsm!)

Actually, there were no butts in sight. Even the butcher's butt wasn't around... :-( Granted, it was a little later and the sams club i went to is a little ghetto... Nonetheless, I'm still a little saddened that there were no butts. I'd rather get the cryovac two pack anyways.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If you didn't see any single butts in the case out front at Sam's, you could try asking them for a two-pack in Cryovac from the back. If they have some, they're cheaper than the singles they break out for sale out front. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm having the same problem at Sam's but with Briskets... they have plenty of butts but I've been to both Sams in the area and have even requested they order Brisket and have had no luck in 3 weeks.
icon_mad.gif

Good luck!

I know what ya mean, Mike. I don't know if everyone buys them or Sam's doesn't order many. It's not unusual for my Sam's to be out, especially around holidays. The boxes may be full of ribs and briskets, but you better buy butts a couple of weeks ahead.
Howard

Hey Frank,

I'll trade you some briskett's for some butts! :)

When I was there, they had a TON....i mean like three rows in the freezer full of briskett. Pork butts...nada.. :-D

I just think it's funny. I'll report the results of my costco search tomorrow. Wish me luck....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frank C:
I'm having the same problem at Sam's but with Briskets... they have plenty of butts but I've been to both Sams in the area and have even requested they order Brisket and have had no luck in 3 weeks.
icon_mad.gif

Good luck! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never have this problem with butts or shoulders. The local Food Lion always seems to have them

Must be a benefit of living in the south?

MikeZ

Mike W,
I have problems too finding butt in the big chains'(jewel/dominicks) here in town. I did find that the little latin mericodo's(?) have a ton of pork in them and I even got a whole shoulder for .99/lbs. If you have any of them around you yuo might check them out.

Arthur

Some advice regarding Sam's Club. Of course this is my experience here in my city.

I talked to the meat manager one day and asked him what day he gets his delivery of pork butts and brisket and was told Monday night or early Tuesday morning.

Many times if you can talk to the "big kahuna" and get to know him/her they'll do you favors and set aside things for you to pick up at your convenience.

Good Luck!

Just wondering, what latin marcicodo's do you go to? I also live in chicago and wondered where the good meat places are. :)

I did go to jewel and dominick's and found nothing there. Well, I did find a brand of pork shoulders, but it was all bound up like you would buy a frozen chicken or turkey, and it didnt' sit well with me. It looked like it was already smoked as well.

The one place that's kind of like a latin/hispanic market that I was going to go to is called Pete's. They have *EXCELLENT* fruit there and it's pretty cheap as well. I believe there's two locations, one is on Pulaski and the other is on...maybe harlem. It's a few blocks south off the stevenson. I would say maybe around 50-something. However, I didn't make it there last night either. :-( Today it's off to costco. If not there, then maybe the local butcher.

About making friends with the sams club butcher...I can't really see that happening. I somehow get the feeling that nobody's as friendly as they use to and they just don't care to help people out. Granted, never tried, but I just got that feeling the handful of times I spoke with them. Now if it's a local butcher / meat market, that's a different story...

Thanks for all your info!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Arthur Squires:
Mike W,
I have problems too finding butt in the big chains'(jewel/dominicks) here in town. I did find that the little latin mericodo's(?) have a ton of pork in them and I even got a whole shoulder for .99/lbs. If you have any of them around you yuo might check them out.

Arthur <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike W,
The shop I go to is on Lawerance 'harvest time or happy time' cant remeber and he doesnt always have the shoulders. Since you are down on the south side you might want to try 'Moo &Oink's' from the adds they have really good prices on stuff.

Arthur

Moo & Oinks = Keep car running while you run in to get meat. :-D The one closest to me is probably either 71st in stony island or 82nd in racine. Both not the best neighborhoods.

I'll have to do some searching for your place. One butcher where I've had some good luck with (and you can turn your car off) is called 'Jim's Meat Market'. They're in Darien (or maybe Downer's Grove). It's about Cass Ave and Plainfield Road. I've been happy with them, although they may be a little bit more pricey.

Is there a forum for good butchers and markets? :) I think it would be interesting to create a group for that, and then people can post their experiences about it.

Thanks!

Got some boneless butts from chinatown butcher in my city, hock was still on, but they were cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back