gritty or almost dusty feel from rub on ribs...

Burton Short

strange question... my latest batch of ribs had an almost gritty or dusty texture to the bark. I'm assuming this was from the rub that I put on since the glaze was fairly simple and had very little ground or powdered ingrediants. have any of you experienced this problem? if so how did you resolve it? I'm thinking that i might have gone heavier on the rub than in the past but I didn't think that was the case until I ate them. any hints on building a rub that won't have this funky texture to it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Burton Short:
strange question... my latest batch of ribs had an almost gritty or dusty texture to the bark. I'm assuming this was from the rub that I put on since the glaze was fairly simple and had very little ground or powdered ingrediants. have any of you experienced this problem? if so how did you resolve it? I'm thinking that i might have gone heavier on the rub than in the past but I didn't think that was the case until I ate them. any hints on building a rub that won't have this funky texture to it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
How much Paprika was in there and what else? The recipe would be helpful.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How much Paprika was in there and what else? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That was my first thought too.

Burton try tasting a bit of each of the ingrediants you put in the rub, see if you can rule them out.

Then see if Grandma's ashes accidentally got bumped over
icon_eek.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Cole:
Was it a windy day? I've had wind stir up a ton of ash in my grill and smoker before. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ash was my first thought. Especially when using briquettes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
How much Paprika was in there and what else? The recipe would be helpful. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As was my first thought. The description you give seems like paprika is the culprit, depending on the ingredients. That's why I mostly make my own rubs and usually omit (or use very little of) the paprika and sub with another pepper.

Erik

But without a recipe (what the heck was in it?), we could guess forever on what was in there, or what could have been the culprit?
icon_frown.gif

water hitting the coals will stir up quite a mess and make a fine coating of ash on your food ... or so I've heard
icon_rolleyes.gif
... but it's visibly obvious (white ash all over the inside ... so I've heard
icon_rolleyes.gif
)

a mild case of freezer burn might be described as dusty texture ...

nah, my money is still on the rub ... too much or a stale or limp ingrediant

I used HALF a QUART of chile powder in a pot once time and could hardly taste it .... I'll never buy that store brand of spices again.

sorry guys, i guess a recipe would help since it is the rub I thought was the culprit.

my basic rib rub...

2T paprika
1T garlic powder
1T onion powder
1T chili powder
2T brown sugar
1t cumin
1t ginger
1/2t alspice
2t black pepper
1t chipoltle powder

(I think that is everything, don't have it in front of me).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Burton Short:
2T paprika
1T garlic powder
1T onion powder
1T chili powder
2T brown sugar
1t cumin
1t ginger
1/2t alspice
2t black pepper
1t chipoltle powder

(I think that is everything, don't have it in front of me). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>paprika doesn't seem disproportionately high ... I'd still taste your spices individually and see if you can rule staleness/off flavor out ... are any of them new since you last made the rub?

I have an econo jug of Club House brand Chipotle powder that matches your 'dusty' description ... almost no flavor but it has heat.

You might try granulated onion and garlic instead of powders if you don't resolve the issue otherwise. Powders can clump or ball up.

2T paprika
1T garlic powder
1T onion powder
1T chili powder
2T brown sugar
1t cumin
1t ginger
1/2t alspice
2t black pepper
1t chipoltle powder

(I think that is everything, don't have it in front of me). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
2T of paprika is 2T more than I would want in there. As Shawn mentioned switch to granulated garlic and onion.
The first 4 ingredients all have/cause a dry mouthfeel and the paprika to me is like grit/sand, I do not use it in my rubs. The ginger powder is another one that can cause a dry mouthfeel along with some chipotle powders as mentioned. There's alot of powders in there which looking at the recipe could give you a chalky rub.

thanks guys. one other quick question. I understand using the granulated onion and garlic, is there a granulated chili powder from Penzy's or another spcie shop? I would like to eliminate all of the powders if possible so that I can ensure that I don't run into this problem again.

Penzey's carries proprietary chili powders and also ground ancho. Sweet Freedom carries various ground peppers and even more whole dried peppers that you can grind yourself. Here.

Chili powder is a blend of chile with, often, salt, onion, garlic, cumin, oregano and frequently sugar. I prefer to use ground chile instead of chili powder.

For mild-to-no heat go with ancho. For some heat guajillo is nice. Or you can blend the two for something in between.

Back