grills

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I love my WSM but I need a grill (my propane died last fall) to use when I get home from work for some quick burgers, dogs or steaks - what do you all use.

Many thanks,
Steve

I've got a Weber Genesis that's 10 years old now and still going strong. It is equivalent to the Genesis Silver B sold today. I highly recommend it and would buy one again if I had it to do all over again.

Regards,
ChrisA

Genesis A - a bit smaller than the B, and one less burner, making it a bit less flexible. I don't grill for that many people, so it fits my needs perfectly. I got mine at Home Depot, where it came with cast iron grates, which I really love (especially for searing). Like Chris, I'd highly recommend a Weber (we're such sluts on this site...).

BeerBoy

[This message has been edited by David Anderson (edited 08-04-2001).]

I agree. I also have a Weber Genesis, in the 5 years I have had it it has never given me a problem. Clean up is a snap, the section below the burners slides out.

PS Get the cover for it too.

------------------
Chaz

[This message has been edited by Charlie Lister (edited 08-04-2001).]

I too have a gas grill that died last year and I don't miss it one bit. If I'm grilling for just a few people I have a Weber Smokey Joe that's just right and it doesn't use much charcoal. I think that probably it is just as quick to use and clean up as the old gasser and there are no flare ups. By the way, I don't we're being sluts just because we want the best equipment available.
Don

I purchased a new gas grill manufactured by the Great Outdoors Grill Company at Walmart for $300. I am really, really pleased with it. The company offers a very impressive warranty--25 years on the burner, 75 years on all cast aluminum parts and 5 years on everything else. I bought the grill because I love the taste of a grilled steak. From what I understand, the secret to a great grilled steak is heat. This grill does not disappoint! You can see them at http://www.gogrills.com. I bought the model 6000.

Hey Guys.

Did you know that the WSM makes a great grill if you simply remove the mid section? I, like Don, have a little Smokey Joe that I use for small groups or for cooking baked potatoes; but the truncated WSM gets used all the time for grilling burgers and fish.

I'd still like a Kettle though, just to complete the collection!

Cheers,

Scott

[This message has been edited by ScottM (edited 08-05-2001).]

Many thanks to all for the replies.

My concern is the BTU factor - when I lived in CT using natural gas I could grill all winter but in southern NJ the propane machine goes into the shack and stays there from December until Late March. (David A. in MA and Charlie L. in NY - can you still use your propane Webster all winter?).

Thanks to all,
Steve Ries

Just for information,propane and natural aren't interchangeable. They require different size jets in order to produce the proper air mixture.
BG

NJ Steve-

Grill with Charcoal on a Weber Kettle -- I do it all year long.

Ken ( a fellow NJ Q'er from central NJ)

Steve:
Yup, I can use it all year 'round. I'm from Minnesota and just because it's -25* outside, doesn't mean grillin' stops. It behaves as one would expect given the conditions, so you just have to compensate (more cook time, more clothes on...). It does confuse the neighbors though. All those summer aromas in the middle of January.

BeerBoy

If anyone is looking for a charcoal grill and can deal with a yellow kettle, Amazon is selling The 10th anniversary Simpsons Weber kettle for $89.99. This is a 22 1/2" "gold" model with the ash catcher.
Don

Thanks to everyone for the input - all this info gives me food for thought.

I have to get up early Sunday to get my 1.49 ribs on sale at Pathmark, I am going to get four racks and smokem till they are candy.

Best wishes,
Steve

I've been using my Weber Platinum series for about 8 years now. I've been using it at least 3 times a week since I got it and it is still running great. I use it in the dead of winter in temperatures well below zero. I've never had to replace any part and the original non-stick grill still cleans up like new. I just put a piece of tin foil (shiny side down) on the grill and run all 3 burners on high for about 15 minutes for a major clean-up. Excellent temperature control for indirect cooking as well!

I use a Weber kettle year round. Nothing like grilled chipotle shrimp skewers and grilled fresh pineapple slices (seriously, try it) amid a February blizzard. As long as there's enough Molson in the house.

"Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow," ... etc.

By the way, I'd say that using a chimney and hardwood lump, you can be cooking in 10 minutes usually. Compared to what, 5 minutes with gas?

My feeling has been if I'm in too darn much of a hurry to spare those 5 extra minutes, I should be using the microwave.

I agree with a galarneau--a charcoal Weber kettle makes great grilled food. I bought the cast iron grill insert which really works well for searing steaks and similar items, and it maintains heat better than the standard grate. I bought the 22.5 in. platinum one-touch, however I wish I had the Performer model, not for the gas ignition, but for the stainless steel work surface.

I use a Genesis gas grill, all year round, excellent for grilling, but I also have had some luck doing some smoking/BBQ with it (still saving up to get a WSM).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back