Grilling whole onions

I've grilled slices of onions as a side for steaks or fajitas,but never like that! It looks like a keeper!

I've got a couple on the OTG with some corn on the cob and a pork tenderloin now. I hope mine come out as good as yours. We'll see in about 10 minutes.

We've been doing onions like this for years. Recently, I changed our method. Instead of wrapping each onion in foil, I now put several (5 or 6) in a metal 8" cake pan and top it with foil. I totally peel the onions but using two pencils on each side, I cut slits into each onion -- usually into eighths -- without cutting all the way through each onion. Yesterday, since we were having them with grilled rib eyes, I put a small dab of Better Than Bouillon Au Jus flavor on each one, put a sliver of sliced garlic into each slit, poured about 1/2 teaspoon of EVOO on each and then topped with a mixture that I chopped up of fresh parsley, fresh thyme leaves and fresh oregano leaves. I pushed that herb mixture down into the middle somewhat with my fingers but left some on top of each onion, too. Between the whole onions in the cake pan, I put wedges of fresh tomatoes and of course, put smoked salt and freshly grated black pepper on everything. We find it's easier to not deal with a little cup of foil holding very hot liquid when we wrapped them separately in foil. And they are delicious.

I had some leftover tonight so I cut all the onions and tomatoes into small pieces and used them and the accumulated juices in the cake pan over some al dente buccatini pasta. Delicious, light and bright. And low cal and low fat, too.

Last edited:
That is an awesome way to prepare onions. My wife normally won't touch onions raw but if I grill them she will eat them. Really brings out the sweetness of the onion when you grill it.

I do something similar with onions, except i totallly wrap them in aluminum foil. In the onion cavity, in addition to the butter, I usually add either a beef bouillon cube or a teaspoon of diced garlic. The beef version comes out like french onion soup. The garlic version is great to cook on the grill, then lay it on top of a good rib eye steak when you are ready to eat. It keeps the steak warm, and adds a great, juicy tase to the steak. The onions take about an hour on the grill.

Thanks for the kind words, folks. Whole onions are on my permanent menu since this was originally written. Doing them on a plank works well, too. Grilled whole onions become something wonderful - far better than imagined...

Dale53

Looks great Robert! It had been a while since I grilled a whole onion. I have seen Steve Raichlen grill whole onions by putting them directly in the coals. I still have to give that a try. I think you started something here Robert.

Dale53,

Grilled onions are awesome! I do a similar recipe but instead of butter, I stuff them with garlic cloves, drizzle with EVOO, and wrap with HD foil. The family loves this one. When cooking burgers, I like to slice sweet onion into cross sections, drizzle them with EVOO, and sprinkle with Montreal Steak Seasoning. I grill these over direct coals until they take grill marks and soften (maybe 10 minutes - 5 per side). Each person gets a grilled onion slab for his burger...

Regards,

John

I did this for the first time last night as I must say just amazing how something so simple can be to delicious! Will be a staple in my arsenal for many years to come

Good cook, I haven't done onions in a while but I use to soak Valdilla Onions in water and put them on the bottom grate of the kettle practically right in the coals. The cook time was quicker than you mentioned and they were a great appetizer, just slice off the top, add a little butter and salt if desired and give everyone a fork. Yummy!! I think I will have to do these soon.

I take the onion and peel it, cut in half, score each half with a knife, salt and pepper, place a large pad of butter on one half place the on the half on top of the half with butter and wrap completely in foil. Grill and it turns out wonderful.

Back