Grilling Steaks

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
I know this is barbecuing, but all of us probably grill steaks too. Just had a question about temps. I tend to like my Weber Performer very hot for cooking steaks in order to make the grill marks pronounced and the searing tasty. To do this, I am a bit heavy on the coals, at least on 1/2 of the grill. I am probably close to 2 layers thick with coals, but not quite. If the steak is too thick to cook all the way through given the heat, i will move it over after a strong searing. However, while watching a recent "steak cookoff", participants all seemed very focused on maintaining consistent temps of appx 300 degrees while trying to prepare a med Ribeye about 3/4-1 inch thick. I have since seen a show on "the Weber Grill Restaurant" who cooks steaks like I do.

How do you do it and what's your opinion? I don't like "baked" steaks as much as hot fire grilled.

I'm with you, Davidd.

Though I rarely cook steaks that thin, cooking them at a consistent lower temp does offer one some assurance against overcooking--but at the expense of the developed flavors one achieves with searing. Though it's tricky to sear a thin steak without overcooking it as well it can be done if the searing temp is sufficiently high and care is taken not to push it too far. I prefer to purchase or cut real steaks
icon_smile.gif
of at least 1.5 inches.

Methinks I saw the same show on Food Network, the contest was in Arkansas and there were many huge grill made from steel pipe. I will cook ribeys at a lower temp than I will strip steaks, filets and T-Bones due to the extra fat. If you are curious I'd cook one steak right above one of your Char-Baskets full of hot coals and another on the other side of your grill over a single layer of coals. Eat both, savoring every bite and the answer will be revealed. By the way, where did you see the show on the Weber Grill Restaurant?

I'm in the 1.5 inch camp too, but this contest was for smaller steaks. I prefer ribeyes, but sometimes buy NYS and TB. Sometimes, I'll have a good thick sirloin cut at 1.5 inches, but it proves to be a huge piece of meat. I end up halfing it, which is still enough for two.

I also perfer the high heat of sear marks and crisping the edges. I set my kettle up at about 450 - 500 degrees with coals on one side, sear for 4 to 7 minutes depending on the kind and cut of steak directly over the coals and then move over indirect if they are not already done to my liking on the inside (about 145 degrees - is medium for me).

Randy

I beleive the show was on the food network about a week ago. I've seen it twice. They talk about 1700 degree temps on the grills, then moving to another grill using indirect to finish off the steak. They only char for 1-2 min per side.

In my kettle, I make a huge bed of glowing oak lump, so hot you need welders gloves to cook with. Drop a couple unseasoned 1.5" thick ribeyes on the grid and sear them good on both sides, then take them off to sit on an uncovered plate. I then rake the lump to one side, put the lid on the grill, close the vents and wait for the temp to come down to 350-400. In the mean time, I season the steaks. When the temp is right, I put them back on to finish, indirect. Then my guests put A1 on them ;P...not really.

I do love thick ribeyes... mmm.

however, my favorite every day steak (though probably a misnomer, technically) is skirt steak. And, for that you NEED super hot coals, since it is thin. Quick sear on both sides, and they are off the grill in, literally, a matter of 3-4 minutes total. But without super hot coals - and in a weber grill, you have to layer them like you said to get it that hot and close to the food - you get an overcooked cut of meat. No good.

Besides the medium-low cooking temps and closed cookers many of the contestants were slathering on meat tenderizer. I never thought about doing this with certified-angus beef before, it's usually well enough marbled.

Most of the steak eaters that I know would probably not call a 3/4" thick ribeye a steak. The 1-1/2" thick cut is just perfect. I like to rub the steak with a little oil on all sides, and then rub in some fresh black pepper with a little celery salt and a touch of garlic powder. I have the coals on the kettle an extra layer higher on on side than the other. Just before the steaks go on I crank up the heat on the high coals with an old fireplace bellows until a nice bright orange hot. Then the steaks go on the hot side uncovered for about 2 minutes per side. After that I transfer them over to the normal height side of the grill and put the lid on with all vents fully open. This is what seems to work the best for me after a lot of experimenting. I get great flavor, nice grill marks and everyone seems to like them. Same way for 1-1/2" thick Tri-tip steaks as well.

Originally posted by James Stewart:
Besides the medium-low cooking temps and closed cookers many of the contestants were slathering on meat tenderizer. I never thought about doing this with certified-angus beef before, it's usually well enough marbled.

Yeah I think the winner of the contest was the guy who put the least stuff on his steak.

Back