grilling/smoking in the garage during hurricane irene

Jeff Davidson

TVWBB Super Fan
Folks,

we're getting set for Irene and have sandwich stuff/dry cereal in case of a power outage. I'm thinking I may want to bbq or grill in the garage, with the door closed...or maybe grill a couple of steaks on the chimney to reduce smoke.

seems pretty safe, any thoughts?

Agree.
Door closed not good, and even when open can be dangerous,without good cross ventilation.
Set it up if possible right outside the garage door, and if you still have power, set up a fan to blow out any fumes or smoke.
Now you stay safe, and good luck!

Tim

I have smoked during a heavy thunderstorm in a DETACHED garage with the doors open.

I would never attempt it with an attached garage. Really it is not a good idea unless you have adequate ventilation and with the doors closed you likely will not have that.

really guys, even cooking on the chimney? I have this vision of setting up outside the garage and the wind lifting weber and spewing hot charcoal everywhere...

How big-is the garage?
Side windows? Service door in the back ? Which can give you some cross ventilation if you set the big door up about a foot or so.

Tim

two car garage, service door in the back, side windows on one side. I have a book somewhere on cooking in the fireplace, maybe that would be better.

I agree, either cook on the fireplace, or have some Dagwood cold cuts for one nite.
icon_wink.gif

Taint worth pushing it.

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Cookin' inside a garage is completely foolish.
I'd rather eet a big mac.

and i hate mcdonalds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Inside a garage with the door completely closed, than ya I would agree.
But if you set up right at the big door opening, with good cross ventilation I don't have a problem with that.
I do it all the the time when it's raining or snowing. My WSM is kept in my Detached garage. Why would I move it outside and have to deal with the crappy weather?
Ventilation and being smarter than the object you are working with is the key!
As always that's just my opinion..

Tim

Back