Grilling salmon sides

So here is what I don't get about those blocks. So you got a nice new block (and I am sure it is not cheap). Stick it in the grill getting it hot enough to cook on. And you cook your salmon (or whatever). Now whatever you cooked has left juices and oils on/in that block and will come into the next things you cook Also doesn't what you cook become overly salty?
I got it as a gift, so I'm not sure how much it was, so I can't comment. I can say that once this one is used up, I may not buy myself another one. It takes a while to get it up to temp and can be a pain to clean. Plus it has limited space.

I have not had any carryover flavor yet, but I scrape it and then wipe it down with a damp paper towel when I'm done. As far as it being too salty, I think it depends on what you cook and the temperature of the block, but I'm just speculating. The salmon has turned out absolutely perfect both times I did it. One time, I also put on some shrimp after I cooked the salmon. Those turned out extremely salty. What I don't know is if they turned out salty because the block cooled down and it took longer to cook, so the shrimp had more time to suck up the salt. Or was it just the nature of shrimp being cooked on a block.

Salmon is about the only use for my side burner on the grill. I use skinless fillets. Season to taste-I like lemon pepper. Heat butter on high heat until it starts to turn brown and smoke. Toss in the salmon, Heat 3-4 minutes and flip for another 3-4. Crisp seared outside and perfectly pink inside.

I think this thread has shown there's several ways to cook salmon filets and there's probably no one right or best way. For me, it really comes down to the size of the filet and how I plan to serve it. So for example, if I'm doing a sauce on it, I may or may not flip it, but might do it indirect - However, if sticking with the OP's question, I think the best advice for a filet you plan to flip is to stick to the 70 / 30 rule. That is, 70% of the cooking time on the flesh side, flip and finish the remaining 30% of the time on the skin side. If your grate isn't totally gnarly, and you oil it, you should know when its time to flip when you can get a spatula under it without it sticking or crumbling. The cooking time of course is dependent on thickness of the filet, oil content, temp of fire - etc... Placing a fat salmon filet flesh side down on a Weber for the first time is intimating, but once you do try the method a few times you'll get the hang of it. It works!

Back