Grilling mistake to avoid

Another Bob B

TVWBB Pro
Last night I had friends over for Steak Dinner. Included were Stuffed Portaballo Mushrooms. As we all know, Mushrooms off the grill cool down quickly so I decided to pre-heat some large Cast Iron Steak Plates in the oven while I proceeded to grill. After pulling these cut to order Angus perfectly "Rare to Med Rare" Rib Steaks, I put them on the (oven heated) 350 degree iron plates on wooden pallets at the appropriate place settings and tented them to rest for 4 - 5 minutes. "Groan". Tenting the Steaks with Hvy duty foil on 350 degree CI Plates is a big mistake folks. In that 4 - 5 minutes of resting they went to an un-perfect medium to medium well chewy piece of unrecognizable beef meat. Yuk. I think I should have checked in with Kevin K for advice on that cook. On a lighter note though, the CI plates kept the Mushrooms hot and tasty. Just wanted to throw out this little "Tidbit". Bob

Next time preheat the skillets,sear the steaks on the grill on one side then flip onto the hot skillet and serve. Perfect rare steak every time.

Neat tip Bob S.

Bob B. - I almost never tent steaks unless it's really cold out and I won't have time to take them inside. I generally only tent large beef or pork roasts, but I would still let them rest. If you reverse sear the steaks it seems to help them remain at serving temperature during the rest.

Thanks for the tip guys - I should have pointed out that the steaks were loosely tented as I have done for years and felt that the CI plates continued to cook the steaks. I have since grilled steaks, tented etc. without overcooking but it was without the HOT CI plates. Again thanks. Bob

Back