Grilling an 18 pound Turkey on the kettle (?'s)

We had an 18 pound Turkey taking up space in the freezer, and the wife knowing I like to cook things over fire, suggested I grill it this weekend. I have it defrosting in the fridge since Monday.

I have never grilled a whole Turkey, and was looking for any and all suggestions. I think I remember Little saying the best Turkey he ever ate he grilled on his kettle.

I am not going to brine it.

I have a 26 inch kettle, so there is plenty of room.

My initial plan is to heavily salt the bird, try to seperate the skin/meat as best I could, put it in an aluminum pan over some onion/clery/carrots, and cook it indirect, 325-ish.

I will start it breast down (maybe I will ice the breast down pre-grilling), and flip it half way.

I also have an 18 inch WSM, so I can use that if I want.

We are kinda making a faux Thanksgiving, so I want to keep it whole, otherwise I would spatchcock it.

My other thought is to take out the grate, and put the pan on the charcoal grate, with the coals in a charcoal basket on either side of the pan, thus keeping the heat at the same level as the bird, not under it. There is actually enough room on the 26 to do that. I have done that on my 22 with big beer can chickens that would have hit the lid.

Or I could throw it in the oven

Any suggestions/comments welcomed. Estimated cooking time ?

Oh no not the oven. Cookin a bird on my 22.5 this weekend myself. Just gonna evoo it, season it, put some celery carrots and onions in the cavity and smoke it with some apple wood. Good luck to ya.
icon_eek.gif

i cook mine just like that though i do it indirect. coals to the left and bird on the right. halfway through i turn the turkey so the other side is towards the coals. i do ice doen the breast for a 1/2 hour or so and i do start it breast side down. dang, i'm hungry.

May I suggest that you cut up the turkey into four pieces before you grill it? Much easier to handle, you have much more control over the cooking process, and you can remove the legs when they are done as well as the bone- in breasts. Here is a picture. There is a extra breast here, for turkey pastrami. The breast is form another turkey.

Cut off the legs, remove the spine/back part of the turkey, and keep boths breasts and bone as a large unit. The Turkey takes up much less space, and cooking time is at least one hour less.

Chop up the spine and simmer in water, with carrots and unions to make wonderful turkey broth.

Click on picture for to see large version.

My Dad used to cook the best turkey breasts by putting it in a pan down on the charcoal grate between the coals on his 22 just like you were talking about. Bet it would work great!

Paul

Last bird I did was a 23 pounder that I cooked breast on top grate and legs / thighs on lower grate. Solves the problem of the breast drying out as you can remove it when done.

Ray

When I have a whole turkey I cook it whole but I usually buy whole bone in breasts & a couple of wings.
You can do it either on the 26"r or the WSM. Indirect on the 26'r you'll cook at a higher heat - probably around 325 - 350 it should be done in 4 - 4 1/2 hours. WSM @ 250 will probably take 6 - 7 hours.
I started a 18 lb.'r Thanksgiving morning on my 18 1/2" WSM but had a family emergency come up and it ended up getting finished in the oven.

Stuart, how did your turkey turn out?

Jon, thanks for the Turkey Cannon link. I have to try one of those.

(Hanging head in shame !)
I cooked it in the oven.
Long story short, wife got all nervous with her mom, and her brothers family coming over, so we cooked it in the oven.
Didn't do anything fancy, seperated the skin/meat, butter under breast skin, lots of salt, garlic/onion powder, and 5 strips of thick bacon on top (just because).
Started it at 325*, had it at 375* toward the end. 4 hours 25 minutes, 18 pounds.
Pulled it when I saw 158 in the breast, and I have to say, it was a really good turkey.
Relatively moist, and not over cooked. (leg meat was still moist, not leather like)
Next one on the grill. I promise !

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
the time to try things is not when you really need it. you probably made a good choice. now get a cheap one and try it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll "ditto" George's response. Now you have all kinds of time to do research here and on other sites.

Check out brining, etc. There's lots of ideas and tips in the recipes and resources section. Take a look especially at the Turkey forum in the Seasonal Discussion section.

Good luck. I've done large and small whole turkeys in the WSM and the Performer and also on the rotisserie (Performer).

I don't think you'll have any trouble on your kettle especially with the 27". Plenty of room.

Back