Grilled...yes..Grilled Ribs

Richard Craft

Amongst my circle of WSM buddies...I'm always The Rib Guy.

But I saw an episode of Throwdown with Bobby Flay...where he got his butt whuupped by a cool guy named Ed Mitchell who grilled his ribs on high temps...for about an hour.

He bathes them in a vinegar concoction while they grill.

My Weber Summit Platinum is fitted with Grill Grates...and when I cooked my Baby Back and St. Louis ribs, the Grill Grates helped hold the liquid and kept the ribs moist.

In 55 minutes...I had some of the moistest, tender ribs ever.

NOTE: they are definately different than slow smoked...but you can't beat ribs in an hour...start to finish.

We shot some video...hope to post it soon.

Richard - I would love to see that video of your "quick ribs". I've only ever done slow smoked ribs, but am also very interested in this method.

Barret

Richard,

I think I remember that episode. Did the guy pop the tire on his rig ?

Thought about trying them, but I just can't bring myself to risk it.

Here is a good thread about grilled spares. This is a go-to these days.

Richard, what kind of temps are you working with? I shoot for 350-375 range for around 2.75-3.25 hrs. I would like to know how to get them done in one.

Gary

I've been grilling ribs for over 20 years. It's not my method of choice - too much attending, and I can do backs or spares in a cooker in 90 min or 150 min, respectively, so I much prefer that route - but several people I cook for have open pits only so grilling is the way to go. There are quite a few commercial places that grill them as well.

Spraying or mopping with something water-based is standard (and is likely how spraying/mopping got started with cooking in closed pits too, though it's not necessary there) as it cools the undersides of the ribs once flipped, slowing the cook.

I've grilled packers to using the same method. Those are long, attended cooks. Not my favorites, but the meat comes out fine.

Kevin, if you have an afternoon with no time limit do you go with a higher temp, shorter cook time, or low and slow?

For what ever reason I prefer the mouth feel of the ribs when I cook faster. They are still tender, but with a little more bite. Maybe I am just better able to time the finish.

Gary

Higher/faster - for commercial pork. For splendidly fattier heritage breeds I'll slow it down.

Juicy, tender, with some bite, same as you.

To me, the ribs Larry cooked in the link you posted aren't 'grilled ribs', they're ribs cooked on a grill (the former, imo, are cooked direct the whole time). I cook ribs on a grill when all I have to cook on is a kettle or the like (except I don't go direct; I dislike the black charring that easily results).

As you know tenderness comes from cooking to that point, not less (the meat is still tough), nor more (the meat moves toward dry/stringy). Many ways of arriving at that point. In most cases I see no need in stretching the time to getting there.

Richard

Please post the video of the this cook. After watching your video of the steak cook I ordered some grillgrates for my Performer. What was the approx temps during the rib cook ??

Thanks

jc

Back