Grilled Romaine

J Moodie

TVWBB Member
SO I have seen a lot recipes with grilled romaine on this site. Seems odd to me, is it that good? If you say it is I will try it tonight, any dressings that work best for it?

Also is it suitable with the romaine lettuce you get in three packs, or should it be individual and fresh?

The three packs are just as nice...
I slice large "heads" lengthwise and do EVOO on them.
Season if you like before or after grillin'...
Grill over direct heat, turnin' constantly to avoid burning...
grill until you like the look/texture then remove, chop and serve right away.

Grilled Romaine is AWESOME!

Alright, I'm doing it Jim!
I will let you know my opinion, but from what I have seen, you know what you are doing on a grill, so I have faith!

J,

I agree with Jim - it is delicious and you can put whatever dressing you like on the grilled romaine.
I sometimes also grill scallions at the same time (brushed with evoo) and serve them along with the lettuce.

Ray

Well, I am converted! That was delicious, going to do it agin tomorrow! Really had an aspargus vibe to it!
For anyone on the fence, go for it!!!

I tried the grilled Romaine for the first time tonight and really liked it. I drizzled it with EVOO, salt, and pepper and grilled for about 3-4 minutes. Very tasty.

We love grilled romaine at our house! Sprinkle some blue cheese on top and add cherry tomatoes, red onion and some grilled chicken...yummmmm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Well, I am converted! That was delicious, going to do it agin tomorrow! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Glad you liked it John/Jerome/Jake/Juan
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Okay...I'm up for this but how are you serving it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>grill until you like the look/texture then remove, chop and serve right away.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sprinkle some blue cheese on top and add cherry tomatoes, red onion and some grilled chicken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>i like ground white pepper and fresh squeezed lime juice...

Okay, I'm doing this tonight for dinner. I'll grill up some chicken breast first then the lettuce. So we're just talking about 3-5 minutes over hot coals turning constantly right?

Jim, are you serving yours with any dressing? I have a nice big chunk of Maytag that I'll crumble on top once I chop it up. I like the idea of some grilled scallions with it and perhaps even some grilled tomato. Any other suggestions? Dressings or leave as is?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Stanek:
Any other suggestions? Dressings or leave as is? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are adding grilled chicken, maytag blue, tomatoes, and scallions, you couldn't go wrong with a bit of balsamic vinegarette drizzled over it IMO
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Jim, are you serving yours with any dressing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actualyy Chris, it's rare when I put any dressing on any green salads i eet. I just prefer it that way.
And, the romaine comin' right off the grill, chopped up with a little Maldon salt and fresh ground pepper is pretty spectatular on their own.
Well, I'm glad you guys like it
icon_smile.gif

We've tried it a few different ways, and our favorite is sprayed liberally with EVOO spray and then seasoned off the grill with fresh lemon juice, sea salt and cracked pepper.

Alright I made this last night and it was a total hit. I grilled four halves drizzled with EVOO, salt and peppered. I grilled some chicken breast first with a sweet coffee rub then set aside. I then grilled the romaine. I think I may have had too much EVOO or grilled a bit long because some got a bit too wilted, but it was still fantastic.

I chopped the greens, added some blue cheese I crumbled from a great block of Maytag, diced up a couple of red onion slices that I lightly grilled as well, and drizzled with a balsamic vinegar reduction that I had brewing while grilling.

On the side, I grilled 4 big this tomato slices with basil from the garden, fresh minced garlic, and shaved parm reggiano.

The wife and daughter raved! Thanks so much for this great idea. This is going on rotation.

I took your recommendation for the blue and the balsamic. I have some really nice balsamic that I just reduced down to a thicker syruppy consistency and just spooned it over lightly. You didn't need a lot, but gave such a great sweet even tangy biting contrast to the earthy Maytag and charred rustic romaine.

I could also definately see just how it could be grealy enjoyed as is, however, like Jim suggested.

Finally tried the grilled romaine and it was fantastic. I had smoked some thick bacon strips while making pepper stout beef and chopped that up with the lettuce and made caeser salad. mm mm good.

Back