Grilled Pizza (no knead dough and a kettle oven)

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
Jim Lahey of Sullivan St Bakery (NYC) took the world by storm a few years back with his "no knead" bread recipe. I've been meaning to try it but I just don't do a ton of bread making (none to be exact). Lahey has now branched out into a pizza restaurant called Co. which I've been two twice and their pies are outstanding. It was at Co. that we learned the Lahey had this book in the works, which I have since received as a gift for my birthday.

I've tried lots of different frozen doughs and a few from scratch, but everyone of them were difficult to work with and didn't cook correctly. That's probably why I'm so excited about this recipe. It's super easy to make, it was a dream to stretch and it cooked perfectly. I had a few burn, but I think it was the result of not using enough flour on the peel (flour insulates the crust from the heat of the stone).

I started by building an oven with fire brick. I got the idea from the steel kettle pizza ring. I threw an extra stone on top to help get some radiant heat down on the top of the pie (I think there was too much head space and it didn't quite work the way I wanted). I used a hinged grate and had one opening in my slot so I could feed charcoal as needed

IMG_8383.JPG

IMG_8174.JPG

I had no problem getting her over 600*. Tossing a few chunks of dried apple in really made the temps spike. Some of the best pies were the later ones when the fire was in the 500* range. They took longer but had more browning.

the pies were all from the book

margherita (tomato sauce, mozzarella di bufala, basil)
IMG_8391.JPG

flambe (bechamel sauce, lardons, mozzarella, onion)
IMG_8409.JPG

bechamel, guanciale, mozzarella, rosemary, garlic, egg
IMG_8405.JPG

it was nearly impossible to jerk the pie off the peel and on to the stone with out losing a raw egg
IMG_8402.JPG

I did a couple others(bianca and bosciaola) that I didn't take a picture of, but I had some dough leftover so I made a meat lovers for next days lunch.
IMG_8412.JPG

the dough was so simple to stretch, I kept going long after everyone tapped out. I literally got board rather than frustrated, which is more typical.

here's a shot of my crust
IMG_8411.JPG

and since I'm in Buffalo, you can't have pizza without wings. I ran these in the sous vide tank for about 5 hours at 175* then finished them under a broiler

tare
IMG_8394.JPG

Buffalo
IMG_8401.JPG

Very nice looking pies (wings too).

I like the oven setup. How comfortable were you with the stability of the lid on those bricks?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How comfortable were you with the stability of the lid on those bricks? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had that thought as well and had a plan if it wasn't stable. But because it was surprisingly stable, I decided to do a full run as is before I permanently modified the bricks. At $3 a brick, I didn't want to make them single taskers.

My plan was to use some high temp silicone to glue a strip of aluminum flashing to the insides and outsides of the bricks, forming a sealed U.

Great looking pies J! I need to give the no knead a try. Just curios as to why you didn't just make it easy and use the Primo?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Just curios as to why you didn't just make it easy and use the Primo? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a jr and the stone just fits, plus the stone ends up right on top of the coals. With the d-plates and a stone I have a hard time getting much over 400*, probably due to lack of easy air flow.

Plus I wasn't home and I can disassemble this and transport it. The Primo Jr weighs too much to make it worth moving.

And I was intrigued by the kettle pizza ring and was wondering if this would work too.

I'll give the primo another go now that I replaced the gasket (I melted it last time I cooked pizza)

Great looking pies and set up. I've been baking no knead bread for a awhile now. I've used Jim Lehey's no knead bread recipe for Pizza. It's basically that same recipe. The Pizza dough recipe has more salt.
I also have used the method in the book, Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day which is a similar no knead method, but you store the dough in a container in the fridge and use what you need. Anyway, both methods are great and turn out great bread and Pizza dough. It is really easy.

I have never achieved great Pizza on the grill, but I'll have to give it another try

That's a great configuration! I been making no knead bread for years and been very dissatisfied with my baking attempts over charcoal, and have no desire to build a single use item in my limited backyard. Now, if a smaller version could be had with a smokey Joe platform...

Thanks for sharing.

Now that is an inspiring setup! Although I may never use it, I'm impressed with the ingenuity and the results. Congratulations all around!

And also thank for the "no knead" links. THAT I will pursue.

Rich

Shoot I'm out the door to pick up some more fire bricks!!! Nice job! Great ideas and as always your picture taking is super impressive(as I bet those pies were!)

Excellent innovation on the setup. I've done lots of pizza on the grill, raising the stone up with fire bricks, but your setup really has my interest piqued. A couple questions if I may:

1. Did you have anything in front of the "door" while the pizza cooked?

2. You mention that there was too much head space. Do you think perhaps covering the top grate with foil would help to really keep all the heat down inside the oven? I wouldn't effect the fire at all, but in my head, I feel like it would really keep all of the heat circulating around the pie (maybe too much so?)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike R. (Heyworth):
Excellent innovation on the setup. I've done lots of pizza on the grill, raising the stone up with fire bricks, but your setup really has my interest piqued. A couple questions if I may:

1. Did you have anything in front of the "door" while the pizza cooked?

2. You mention that there was too much head space. Do you think perhaps covering the top grate with foil would help to really keep all the heat down inside the oven? I wouldn't effect the fire at all, but in my head, I feel like it would really keep all of the heat circulating around the pie (maybe too much so?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen many pizzeria pizza ovens that don't have doors (or maybe they were just not closed).

I would be cautious about using foil. In fact, I would say don't do it. There have been lots of other threads on TVWBB that end up having problems resolved after it was discovered that the poster had used foil on the grates. That interferes with the natural convection within the WSM. This may be an unnatural configuration, but the same would apply. Maybe double for pizza.

Rich

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would be cautious about using foil. In fact, I would say don't do it. There have been lots of other threads on TVWBB that end up having problems resolved after it was discovered that the poster had used foil on the grates. That interferes with the natural convection within the WSM. This may be an unnatural configuration, but the same would apply. Maybe double for pizza. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I'd be concerned about lack of air flow too. Also, I wasn't looking for reflected or convection heat. What I wanted was radiant heat from a large body. Unfortunately, the top stone was reading in the low 300*, which probably meant it wasn't giving off too much.

Door didn't seem needed. I made this set up so I could get the pies in and out, watch them and turn them. Other than the fact that I burned through a 20 lb bag of charcoal, I think I had plenty of heat without a door.

J, was thinking about a design real similar but on the top I was going to use firebricks. It's a thin brick that they use on walls of chimneys for fireplaces. Would cover a lot of the open area on top. Or just get a square metal frame . Put over it in place of your circular grate and add the firebrick or unglazed quarry tile. It would kind of seal it in more. Great concept!!!Nice looking pies especially love the look of the crust.

Back