Grilled Halibut

Andy Erickson

TVWBB Pro
Never grilled this fish before, but I have two filets thawing out right now and will grill for supper.

Should I do them to MR like I would cook a steak?

Found this on the internet hope it helps
thankssmilie5.gif
I usually just eyeball it....not MR though

The grilling time on halibut is pretty short so keep a close eye on it to avoid over cooking. A 1-inch halibut steak will grill up in about 10 minutes over a medium high heat. Thinner cuts and fillets can cook in as little time as 6 minutes. Turn once during the cooking to avoid having the halibut fall apart while cooking. Keep the heat high and watch for burning.

Halibut is ready to eat when the meat is opaque to the middle. If you look at the raw fish you will notice that it has a glossy sheen and a kind of transparent or translucent appearance. Once this characteristic is completely gone the fish is ready. You can also tell it's done when the meat flakes easily with a fork. Whether it's a fillet or a steak you should be able to flake the meat apart all the way through when you serve it. Keep a fork or similarly pointed tool handy while grilling so you can test for doneness. If you have a thermometer look for a temperature of 145 degrees F. (63 degrees C.)
chef.gif

I really like Halibut, and I really like grilling. But if you want a great Halibut cook, fry it in an authentic rice based tempura batter. C'mon now, you know you want to try it this way!

I ended up grilling it. I put the fillets over direct heat for about 3 minutes per side and it was done to my liking. It was really moist and flaky.

Back