Grill Size ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronald Eaches

Hi My name is Ron.

I’m new to this forum, but not to grilling. I have been using a gas grill for years, but I’m getting sick of buying a new one every time I turn around, I paid a lot for the last one I got hoping it would last, the cast iron burners have went bad already, so I’m going back to a charcoal grill.

I have a Weber Smokey Joe that I take camping, but it is to small for home use, I’m gone to buy a new Weber charcoal grill.

I have a few questions, that someone my be able to answer .

90% Of the time it’s just me and my wife, but sometimes we have family cook outs.

I am looking at the 22” one touch gold, and the new 26 ¾” one touch gold, I like the 26 ¾” grill the best.

Here is my question would the 26 ¾” grill to big for just two people?

Would the grill work ok by just putting a smaller amount of charcoal in the center of it when cooking just for two?

Thanks Ron

Hi Ron! Welcome aboard.

I think my first question would be, what are you cooking?

Before I got my WSM, I found that I could cook just about anything I possibly wanted on my old 22 OTG. However, whenever I wanted to cook for big gatherings, I had problems with ribs. So I wound up getting a barrel-style grill. It worked for me, but I still think the 22 OTG is the best grill out there.

With either the 22 or the 26.75, you can offset cook, grouping your coals to one side of the grill to cook directly and having a "cool" side for indirect cooking. I think you'll find the Weber excels at this style of cooking.

I don't know how much help that was, but if you buy the 26.75, it gives you an excuse to cook larger amounts to freeze or to have more gatherings.

Ron
Sorry to hear about the demise of yet another gasser. I am guessing that your original reasoning for purchase was convenience and you paid a lot of $$$ for quality because previous el-cheapos let you down. Whilst we want to see you back over on the live fire side of the fence can I suggest that you check out the Weber Q range. I think from what you are saying that the Q220 would bethe best model for you. This can be used for everyday cooks for you both. You can have 2 steaks cooked and the BBQ cleaned inside 16 minutes The Q can cook for 6 - 8 people, the most I have cooked for with mine is 15 men (Onions, Steaks and Sausages) it just takes a little planning. The Weber Q has a 5 year warranty therfore the expected life exceeds that time frame.
You can also get a 22 1/2" Kettle for entertaining and weekends.

I forgot to add I can roast 2 chickens at the one time on the Q220,

Cheers

Is family gathering having a couple of folks over? Because when I've done that with the kettle I just cook a whole chicken or a tri-tip and I'm pretty much there. Or is it a whole horde in which case perhaps a 22" and then start saving for a WSM unit...

I've got the 26.75 One-Touch Gold and it's not too big for just two people. I build a fire under one-half of the grate and I usually end up with a hot area and a less-hot area on that half of the grate, and then a large indirect area on the other half of the grill where things can land that just need to be kept warm while the rest finishes cooking.

Regards,
Chris

Chris,

I looked at your link and it is $299. Is that the normal price there, or does it float around alot like the WSM's?

Never ordered anything that big from the internet, do they ship directly to your house or to a depot?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
get a 22 kettle from craigs list and see how that goes.
... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

x's 2. I mentioned this on another thread but I got a kettle on Sunday for 20 off Craigslist. It was in great shape with some extra toys (charcoal, wood ships, chimney, etc).

If you can find something like that, you might as well try out something like that and see if it's big enough since it's basically free. You can always move up from there.

Thanks Justin, I went and looked at the 22 and made my decision that it's not big enough for what I wanna do.

Just gotta have tha big un!

Awesome! Take pictures when you get it put together.
icon_smile.gif

I went and looked at one at the hardware store a couple days ago. It's really cool. I really wish they would come out with a performer version.

The only thing I really didn't like about it was the lack of a second handle in the front for the lid. It seems too big to handle with one hand. I don't think it would be a big deal if you have bbq gloves though.

I'm so <STRIKE>jealous</STRIKE> excited for you!
icon_wink.gif

Thanks to all that replied to my post.

I grill a lot of steaks, pork chops and chicken, but now that I’m retiring and will have some free time, I would like to grill some ribs.

Still can’t make up my mind yet on the 22” or 26 ¾” grill, I sure like the looks of the 26 ¾” grill, it comes whit all the goodies.

Thanks Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back