Grill grates , again...

I use mine mostly full time. Usually have half rails and half flat.

When I flip a half the other way, I make sure I have a rag or gloves handy. They are messy to touch.

I use a 32qt Sterlite storage tote to clean my grates. Simple Green and enough water to cover, close the lid and leave in the sun for a few days, agitate every so often. I use it to store my grilling tools when not using it to clean grates...maybe you could use it to store your GGs when not in use.

1659542774549.png

Ok, I'll confess to removing the heat deflectors/flavorizers in my propane grill.

But, I've only done this when roasting chiles to get direct flame for skin blistering. I get better blistering this way(I've tried both ways).

Other than that - I leave them in.

Ok, I'll confess to removing the heat deflectors/flavorizers in my propane grill.

But, I've only done this when roasting chiles to get direct flame for skin blistering. I get better blistering this way(I've tried both ways).

Other than that - I leave them in.
Next time I fire roast peppers I'm going to try my weed burner.

I should outfit myself with fire resistant clothes first.

I find no reason to use GGs only part time. I've scrubbed up my original Genesis grates and stowed them away.
Same here. My GGs have stayed on my Genesis since they arrived a couple years ago. They were my early-lockdown era retail therapy. One of the best grilling purchases I ever made.

The only thing I do is change from rails to flats, depending on the cook. Often I use a mix, with flats on the left and hot for searing a steak or other meat, and rails on the right at low temp for post-sear finishing the cook.

I will go full flats and use them like a griddle for making fajitas. Skirt steak or chicken breasts, followed by a pile of sliced onions, bell peppers, and jalapenos. Hit the pile with a little grapeseed oil and flip it about with a spatula until done to your liking. Then put the burners as low as they go and cook Tortillaland tortillas for about 1 minute per side. Easy and fantastic meal.

Back