Grill grates , again...

Geo S

TVWBB Super Fan
I have a set on my gasser, flat side up, sitting on the original grates...
It's been working fine, but for some reason I was wondering if removing the burner "flavorizer shields would be beneficial?
Faster heating?, too much of a hot spot?, just curious what you all thought....

Only time you might want to remove flav bars would be when using a solid cooking surface like a griddle or a pizza stone. Otherwise you want them in there.

Very good question and I have to agree with the others. Keep the flavorizers as the aluminum heats really fast. As Jim C. says if you use a griddle take them off and you will heat much faster and save a lot of fuel.

Only time you might want to remove flav bars would be when using a solid cooking surface like a griddle or a pizza stone. Otherwise you want them in there.

When I cook a pizza on the flat side of the grillgrates, I leave the flavorizer bars just as they are.
No reason to mess with them.

Did not think of pizza on GG. How would you compare that to a stone or steel?
You have to try it to really know. I have a good stone (had two before one split) but never use it anymore. I started cooking pizza directly on the grates a few years ago and that's it. At first I used the standard grates of my Genesis, but after reading about the high heat of pizza ovens which cook as much from the top, I started using the custom upper grate (ss parts available from any hardware store -- just add an appropriately sized grate). Much better and more reliable.

You have to try it to really know. I have a good stone (had two before one split) but never use it anymore. I started cooking pizza directly on the grates a few years ago and that's it. At first I used the standard grates of my Genesis, but after reading about the high heat of pizza ovens which cook as much from the top, I started using the custom upper grate (ss parts available from any hardware store -- just add an appropriately sized grate). Much better and more reliable.
Nice - Pics of your setup please.

Flat side GGs work very well as a pizza/baking steel. You can get really good leopard spots, but you have to be careful not to overdo it.

GGs flat heat up a LOT faster than a stone or steel, which is good. GGs cook the bottom much faster than a stone -- probably similar to how a steel would work on a grill. That can be good or bad.

The steel really shines in your kitchen oven. Your kitchen oven just can't get hot enough to do pizza, so the steel gives you extra browning of the bottom as compared to the stone. Because hot metal transfers heat energy into the bottom of your pie much faster than a stone does. So in your kitchen, hot metal below and hot broiler above is a great way to get the top and bottom both cooked right and at the same time.

On a higher temp grill, though, a steel can give you too much/too fast cooking of the underside as compared to the top. A stone transfers heat more gradually and slowly. Which is why the bottom of a pie in a 900F Neapolitan oven doesn't immediately incinerate.

My gasser pizza setup is a Kettle Pizza Gas Pro over flatside GGs. The Gas Pro is a stainless steel lid that sits on the grates and helps cook the top. Kettle Pizza recommends using a stone, but that takes a very long time to preheat. And I still find the bottom tends to be undercooked. So I use the GGs flatside instead of the stone.

To avoid over-cooking the bottom, I will put the pie on a tin pizza pan at the beginning and/or end of the cook. I also might turn the burners down a bit. The trick is to get the top and bottom both cooked right at the same time.

Like Rich notes above, I can get good results just using the regular grates. I'll start the pie off on a pizza pan on the regular grates while the lid of the Gas Pro cooks the top. Then I slide the partly cooked pie off the pan onto the grates halfway through. Which lets the bottom brown up while the top finishes cooking.

Flat side GGs work very well as a pizza/baking steel. You can get really good leopard spots, but you have to be careful not to overdo it.

GGs flat heat up a LOT faster than a stone or steel, which is good. GGs cook the bottom much faster than a stone -- probably similar to how a steel would work on a grill. That can be good or bad.

The steel really shines in your kitchen oven. Your kitchen oven just can't get hot enough to do pizza, so the steel gives you extra browning of the bottom as compared to the stone. Because hot metal transfers heat energy into the bottom of your pie much faster than a stone does. So in your kitchen, hot metal below and hot broiler above is a great way to get the top and bottom both cooked right and at the same time.

On a higher temp grill, though, a steel can give you too much/too fast cooking of the underside as compared to the top. A stone transfers heat more gradually and slowly. Which is why the bottom of a pie in a 900F Neapolitan oven doesn't immediately incinerate.

My gasser pizza setup is a Kettle Pizza Gas Pro over flatside GGs. The Gas Pro is a stainless steel lid that sits on the grates and helps cook the top. Kettle Pizza recommends using a stone, but that takes a very long time to preheat. And I still find the bottom tends to be undercooked. So I use the GGs flatside instead of the stone.

To avoid over-cooking the bottom, I will put the pie on a tin pizza pan at the beginning and/or end of the cook. I also might turn the burners down a bit. The trick is to get the top and bottom both cooked right at the same time.

Like Rich notes above, I can get good results just using the regular grates. I'll start the pie off on a pizza pan on the regular grates while the lid of the Gas Pro cooks the top. Then I slide the partly cooked pie off the pan onto the grates halfway through. Which lets the bottom brown up while the top finishes cooking.
Thanks - Good write up. What I may be able to do on my P500 is use the rotisserie burner to cook the top as fast as the bottom so the bottom does not burn.

A top down rotisserie burner might be the ticket. Basically like a broiler. And I guess you'd be able to turn the below burners down if needed to slow the bottom down while the top cooks.

Would be very nice if you could eliminate the need for a lid, which is the expensive tricky part.

The Gas Pro works well for me. But is quite expensive. I only got mine because I found one cheap used on ebay. Otherwise, you have to rig up some kind of DIY lid (either stone or steel) like Rich has. That will work, but it gets kind of complicated.

Last edited:
Nice - Pics of your setup please.

I decided to post these pics in a separate thread to not impose here. This is the link:

My pizza dough is from Bobby Flay -- pretty standard. I roll out the dough, use a peel to put it on the upper grill grate at about 350* for 5-8 minutes until the bottom starts cooking and the top is just firm. Flip it upside down back on the peel and take it inside to add toppings. Meanwhile let the grill heat up to 450-500* with three main burners going. Return the completed pizza, turn off the middle burner and cook as hot as possible for 8-10 minutes until done. Because the first bake of the crust had it cooked before adding sauce, it doesn't get soggy. The second bake cooks the bottom and top at the same rate and I get great pizza. No pan, no stone. Here is one of the first I did -- pepperoni/jalapeno.
IMG_20200404_183756031.jpg

Of course, you can also make a pan pizza on in a cast iron pan on the lower grate. Different procedure. 😄

I wonder how other "part time" GG fans handle and store them. It seems a lot of people either replace their original grates with GGs or just leave them on full time. I don't see myself doing that. I see myself as using them on an "as needed basis". The problem is removing and storing them as they are a greasy mess after a cook or 2. Even flipping them over to use the other side is a messy affair. Are there other part timers? Do others say *** and just leave them on full time? The reason I never liked the griddle add-ons, is to be most effective, you really need to remove the flavorizers which means handling greasy grates and flavorizers multiple times. I see myself using the flat side the most.

I use mine part time. I don't like putting a pizza stone on the greasy GGs so I swap in some clean SS Weber grates to use with a stone.

Last edited:

Back