Grill Cleaning Observation

Andy Ly

TVWBB Fan
I couldn't find a section for care and maintenance, so here it lies:

I had a potential revelation when cleaning my grill last week.

I used the hell out of my Jumbo Joe for the last 4 months and just last week I decided to bring it to the self car wash station. I thought the power washer would easily lift the dirt and grime, but boy was I wrong! The grease and crust was caked on so badly that the power washer couldn't put a dent on it. I poured some Dawn liquid detergent all around the base hoping it would help, but upon spraying it with a power washer, nothing changed, still no luck! But I still sprayed it down to get rid of the detergent I had just squeezed onto the bowl.

As my time expired, I gave up and just put it back into my car, keeping the vents open so it would evaporate the remaining moisture during the hot sunny day. Fast forward a week later, I took the grill out of the car to make some tri tip, and guess what? the grime has dried to a crisp and all I had to do was scrape it off lightly and it crumbled from the grill bowl.

Effectively, the washing with detergent separated the grease from the grime and was washed away, then the heat baked the grime to a crisp allowing it to be removed easily.

Knowing this, we might never have to scrub the grill again with a steel wool.

Anyone wanna give it a try?

Last edited:
Hi Andy,

What works for me is to use Home Depot's HD Over cleaner. I sprayed it liberally and then let the bowl and the lid sit outside in a trash bag (in the sunny San Diego) for 3-5 hours. I then get a grill scrubber (Brillo for grills) and scrub it, I then rinse it with garden hose, and let it dry. Since I am very picky, after it dries, I spray Orange degreaser on them, let it sit for a few minutes, and then wipe the grill down with a towel. The work is done and the grill is like new again. If you try this method, let us know of the outcome.

Have a great one.

Ali

All I can add is that boiling a large bowl of water in the microwave for 10-15 minutes does a wonderful job of loosening all the baked on food splatter. Then you just wipe it clean.
I'm thinking that this is similar to what happened at the car wash.

Back